What Compression With Stock Head Gasket?

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so i have some idea's rollin around and am wondering how much compression is safe for a factory steel shim (.021 thick) gasket?

11:1?

i will be milling so if i have to compensate for the .020 gain in head gasket i can.

I see no reason why it would not hold. Engines came from the factory with much more using steel shims.

I see no reason why it would not hold. Engines came from the factory with much more using steel shims.

very true, guess the 12.5 motors would have been using them huh? what about the fuel/blower cars back in the day?

Max Wedge. 13.5 Yes, they used them.

I use composite head gaskets.....with Hylomar added to them.....on everything that has a composite head gasket.....I still use Hylomar on the MLS ones too.

I use composite head gaskets.....with Hylomar added to them.....on everything that has a composite head gasket.....I still use Hylomar on the MLS ones too.

that tells me about nothing... lol

motor, compression?

that tells me about nothing... lol

motor, compression?

If you wish to stick with a single shim steel type headgasket, with, say 0.100" shaved off the head, and flat top pistons,......make sure the surface finish is right on the head and the block.....too smooth, and it will blow....too rough, and it will blow.
I'd use Hylomar (spray pack) on the gasket, all the same.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/src/images/18035.jpg

I'm running a zero deck 170 with 38 cc chambers, with the shim gasket and no problems, even spraying over 200 hp nitrous.

If you wish to stick with a single shim steel type headgasket, with, say 0.100" shaved off the head, and flat top pistons,......make sure the surface finish is right on the head and the block.....too smooth, and it will blow....too rough, and it will blow.
I'd use Hylomar (spray pack) on the gasket, all the same.

http://media.supercheapauto.com.au/src/images/18035.jpg

ive been running a steel shim for 5 yeas with .113 off the head and .025 off the block with flat tops

I'm running a zero deck 170 with 38 cc chambers, with the shim gasket and no problems, even spraying over 200 hp nitrous.

wow thats like what... 12.5:1?

Kid,My engine has 13.1 with a steel shim gasket, coated with Hylomar. Later due to piston to valve clearance that made me nervous, I went with a composite at .39 compressed and coated it with gasgacinch. Still in the car.

-
Back