What did I break? (pictures in post 26)

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
So I was on my way to work today.
71 duster, 408 with a 727 small block transmission and a 7.25 rear end

Leaving from a dead stop I got on it a little bit, got off the line, then heard a POP...some grinding and that was

The engine still ran fine but the car would not move on its own power anymore.

I coasted to a stop and when I parked I noticed reverse still worked

Now, I know my shifter Cable has been acting up so it could be that the transmission lever wasn't fully in gear...could that be part of the issue?

I'm really hoping I didn't kill the transmission bUT I'm not sure what else could be wrong?

I would put the trans in first, without it running and look at the shift shaft. See if it's actually moved to where it needs to be. Then start it, and do the same, I wonder if you blew the spindly 7 1/4 and it catches in reverse only.

A pop and grinding does not sound good, I would suspect the diff.

If you have some help, start the engine, have someone hold the brake and put it in drive and see if the driveshaft is turning

Thanks bruce, once I get out of work and tow it home I'll try that.

The 7 1/4 would be my first guess because I thought it would be the weakest link (as you know, I intended to replace it with an 8 3/4 this winter)

The thing that threw me off is the fact it still moves in reverse
I always figured once the rear end goes it won't move either way anymore

I always figured once the rear end goes it won't move either way anymore

Not necessarily, I blew the Dana in my 95 Ram, and it would still move real good in reverse, not so good going forward.

1200 hundred later. :banghead:

Lol, I sure hope it's the rear end

(Lunch break is over,back to the grind I go...different grind though)

My bet is the rearend. I had the same issue as bad sport with a 12 bolt chevy a long time ago.

My bet is the rearend. I had the same issue as bad sport with a 12 bolt chevy a long time ago.

Lol, not that we were abusing them or nothin'.

I was lucky, I broke mine up by the Manistee National Forest, and was lucky I made it home (a couple hundred miles). I was worried about it fetching up all the way home and setting me sizeways in the road, lmao.

I pulled the inspection cover the next morning, only to be greeted by large chunks of ring and pinion teeth laying in the bottom of the housing, oops!

I got my money on the rear end.

I'm bettin on..............

131_0804_06_z%2B2007_xrra_rock_races%2Bbroken_axle.jpg

635581570267529791-20150129-163638.jpg

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 419
Since it's only behind a 408 stroker I would definitely replace it with another 7.25 so I woldn't have to mess with the drive shaft how did you make it hold up very long

Hmm...

Attachments

• TChad Africa 2012 160.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 403
guessing you have pieces of ring gear that doesn't grab while it's spinning backwards...and then it gets jammed in the gears when it turns forward.

I'd jack the *** end off the ground and rotate the tires by hand, before i used the engine to asses the damage. I'm thinking you'll feel some carnage without having to start the car.

If you need any trans work, I know a good guy in Livonia, MI...

2 days, seriously? How well does it move it reverse?

Eelco, if you need another to get you buy let me know. Still have a month or so of driving weather.

No supprise at all, I broke one with a 1 barrel slant six a few years ago.

Lol, not that we were abusing them or nothin'.

I was lucky, I broke mine up by the Manistee National Forest, and was lucky I made it home (a couple hundred miles). I was worried about it fetching up all the way home and setting me sizeways in the road, lmao.

I pulled the inspection cover the next morning, only to be greeted by large chunks of ring and pinion teeth laying in the bottom of the housing, oops!

Dropped mine off in 4 foot deep mud hole. Yup, no abuse here either. Lol

-
Back