What did I break? (pictures in post 26)

-
Since it's only behind a 408 stroker I would definitely replace it with another 7.25 so I woldn't have to mess with the drive shaft how did you make it hold up very long

I fired the engine up on Tuesday, for the first time...so less then 72 hours

2 days, seriously? How well does it move it reverse?

barely
it must have just ground some chunks of gear and kept moving
I didn't try to drive it home though

Eelco, if you need another to get you buy let me know. Still have a month or so of driving weather.

I appreciate it Bruce but I'm going to have to decide if I want to scramble to get the 8 3/4 ready in a week or so and get those last few weeks or if I want to take my time and call it winter
I don't think another 7 1/4 would last much longer anyway

so, about my trip home, I hit up one of my coworkers who drives a ford (because you KNOW those guys have a tow strap with them)

got the car jacked up, removed the inspection plate and this is what I found

on a side note, I noticed the transmission will still spin the driveshaft, so that means I shouldn't need to worry about it right?

oh, and the speedometer needle is stuck on 65, I wonder what caused that?

You didn't over rev it when it went out did you?

Hell, clean those chunks out of the bottom and turn it into a Lincoln Locker, lol.

Well, ifn you change yer mind let me know, I have a 7 1/4 here that you could use to get through the rest of what's left of the season. You could have it in, in a day.

I appreciate the offer Bruce, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be worth the trouble...but I guess if you wanted to come by and install it for me I wouldn't stop you ;)

as for the over rev, Mike included an FBO ignition box with the rev limiter set to be all in by 5800 RPM so I'm sure I didn't bounce her that high

That's why I call the 7 1/4" the "weak suck" axle....

I broke 3 of them in 4 years behind a 318 4 bbl.....

the lock on the cross shaft seems to have disappeared though, there is about 1/4 inch play on the pinion that still has gears on it

isn't this what happens to every 7 1/4 rear? pinion gears are tiny

You didn't over rev it when it went out did you?

Hell, clean those chunks out of the bottom and turn it into a Lincoln Locker, lol.

Well, ifn you change yer mind let me know, I have a 7 1/4 here that you could use to get through the rest of what's left of the season. You could have it in, in a day.

X2weld it and take it out and really trash it that got a lotof abuse left in it yet .
5min with a stick welder.

now I'm getting tempted

if I would weld the spiders up..what would be the next weak point?

now I'm getting tempted

if I would weld the spiders up..what would be the next weak point?

The rest of it, lol. Pinion, more than likely.

Like I said, a Lincoln Locker will get you a couple of weeks, it won't hurt anything, sure can't make it any worse.. It will drive like a spool. I wouldn't advise driving it in the rain though.....

Ah, forget it

If I ordered the right brake parts I'll have that 8 3/4 in there over the weekend

I just need some u bolts

Suregrip??? Well get with it, lol, I want to see a burnout vid. :D

You can get U bolts at Autozone, they're not "exactly" correct, but they'll work.

Suregrip wasn't included for the 300 I paid for it
I'm not complaining though, real A body rear end AND SBP too boot

I knew it. lol it don't take much to pop a 7 1/4.

Not when yer putting over 400 ponies to it, lol.

Like said above, I have broken at least two behind a /6 in the past.

Not when yer putting over 400 ponies to it, lol.

Like said above, I have broken at least two behind a /6 in the past.

Imy seriously considering calling Mike at MRL to see if he wants to pay to fix it...it is his fault afterall

my 7.25 pinion looked like a barrel and the ring gear looked like a donut some kid bit the frosting off of. Stunk to high heaven too. That was the SG version so I think I must have had some stronger innards.

Well at least it broke what was supposed to break.

I am kind of surprised that no one mentioned pulling apart your transmission to check the sprag......the weak link, which fails when there is a sudden unloading (like the differential breaking) of the driveline. Coincidentally, this is what likely caused your speedometer to stick. while it didn't overrev, the abrupt acceleration of the transmission output maxed out the speedometer, causing it to stick. Don't take this this lightly Google 727 failures........caused by sprag failures.

My 2 cents...

-
Back