What did I buy?! Lucky find for a newbie!

-

Veldt

Reaction score
Here's the scoop;
I was looking for a vehicle for under 3 grand that would get me around in MT winters and not slide like an ice skate. So, I wanted an older truck, late 70s, something I could work on and not have to pay somebody. Of course, I'm brand new and just learning EVERYTHING about older vehicles, so I put feelers out to my more knowledgeable friends to keep an eye out.
My buddy tells me his friend has a dart for 2 grand, and I said no way. Like I said, I wanted something beastly! Shows what I know. He made me promise to drive it before putting money on anything else.
So, I did. Turns out it wasn't a dart... close enough. She's a 74 Valiant. And in five minutes with her I was in love. Great condition mechanically, almost perfect, and all stock. Like she came from the factory. Which she did, everything is original, and she has 61000 original miles. She needs some body work, but I get to learn how to do it all myself and I can't wait!
In researching what I got I can't seem to find anything exactly like her. She's got the A38 pursuit package, the engine is a 318, and the transmission is an NP833 three speed on the floor. In all my digging I only found one other like it. Am I not looking hard enough or did I buy something that's a bit unique?

Sounds cool. Pics, please!

A38 is the police package so you may have an old cop car,which is cool and if you wanted to restore it back to a cop car for shows its the correct code.May someone knows what all was involved in the police package.

Sounds Cool. Welcome aboard. If it was a cop car, it probably didn't originally have a 3 on the floor.

Welcome to FABO, some pics would be great.
Yes, it is a pretty unique car if it is what you say it is.
If you can't post pics right away, please list the codes and numbers off of the fender tag.
Then it would be easy to decode what you really have.

Where's our own "A38Valiant" Will when you need him?? He has a couple hiding in his barn!! He should be able to enlighten you on just what you have there!! Welcome to FABO by the way!! Geof

Unfortunately I can't even take pictures since I don't own a camera, but through some more research I found out that she's one of about 600 civilian cars made that year with the police pursuit package. So that's pretty neat. I'll get to pictures soon...Oh and the three on the floor is original, through some digging I found one 74 Dart with the same setup. The owner was told by the dealership that if she wanted AC she couldn't have the shifter on the column, so she had them put it on the floor. The driver's rear quarter panel is crunched but she's mechanically sound with low original miles. I can't wait to start working on her and get her looking like she just rolled off the lot. Pics to come when I get a camera tracked down, and pardon my ignorance but...where do I find these numbers? I know where the vin number is but fender tags elude me.

Unfortunately I can't even take pictures since I don't own a camera, but through some more research I found out that she's one of about 600 civilian cars made that year with the police pursuit package. So that's pretty neat. I'll get to pictures soon...Oh and the three on the floor is original, through some digging I found one 74 Dart with the same setup. The owner was told by the dealership that if she wanted AC she couldn't have the shifter on the column, so she had them put it on the floor. The driver's rear quarter panel is crunched but she's mechanically sound with low original miles. I can't wait to start working on her and get her looking like she just rolled off the lot. Pics to come when I get a camera tracked down, and pardon my ignorance but...where do I find these numbers? I know where the vin number is but fender tags elude me.

Look under the hood and you find a fender tag on the drivers side fender. This will have all the option codes listed for your car. If you post them all of us can decode the car for you. Sounds like a very cool car congrats on it.

-
Back