What do all the stamps on my 360 mean?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
I want to verify a few things about my 360 engine and I don't know where to start.... Can someone tell me what each symbol means? For example there is a clock looking symbol on the engine block pointing to what looks like 3 O'clock. On both sides of the block there are series of numbers which I don't know what they stand for. Also there are the letter M stamped on my heads. Any help guys. I'm sure this is really simple stuff, but I just don't know where to find accurate information on this. Thanks guys!:blob::sign3:

I think the casting numbers are really cool. On my 360 the block is marked as such(360) no guessing. The clock as mentioned above shows what time of day the block was cast. There is even a letter for day or night shift (D or N) and the date it was cast too. I don't know what the M on your heads is for
though.

Oh cool. Which portion of the numbers tell you the cubic inch o the engine? Is it tue first three? Also do youknow which numbers will tell you the yar tue motor was built?

I just took off the passenger side exhaust manifold from my supposed 360. I now have a suspicion that it's only a 318. The numbers read as 4387530-31823. Did I get a dud? 318 or 360 I really don't know what this is guys can anyone educate my dumba$$!???

its a 318. if it was a 360 there would be a 360 in that number POST A PIC LOL, the VIN number will be stamped above the side/ rear oil pan rail on the passenger side. post a pic of it. you may have to do some scraping to find it
the-318 is cubic inch and i believe the 23 following it is the date code but im not sure.

Dang it! Well I feel sheepish. Alright new plan I guess. 318 it is! Damn it! Well at least I got a running 318 and 727 package for only $200 and the guy delivered it to me. Still I feel dumb...

its a 318. if it was a 360 there would be a 360 in that number POST A PIC LOL, the VIN number will be stamped above the side/ rear oil pan rail on the passenger side. post a pic of it. you may have to do some scraping to find it
the-318 is cubic inch and i believe the 23 following it is the date code but im not sure.

That 23 could also be a casting revision number. Meaning everytime there was a upgrade to the casting the factory would go to the next highest number. I know this was supposed to be a 1977 engine, but still, i have never seen a number that high?

On a more positive note at least you know what to look for when checking out another engine:D.

Man you got so many threads going now i'm having a hard time keeping up?????????

This means too much free time. LOL still cranked out 620RWHP and seems to be living well,so far.

Attachments

• hood spring 086.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 200
-
Back