What do i call these drums?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
Is there some sort of term or slang refering to these drums? I took them off my 8 3/4 and i cant find any info on them.

IMG_1082.jpg

Rear brake drums from an 8 & 3/4 inch rear end, 9 or 10 inch diameter (insert measurement) for a 4 or 4 1/2 inch (insert measurement) bolt pattern.

Not rare. The 340 Darts and Dusters in 70 and 71 came with them. Some s-type Barracuda's came with them. I have a pair of 9 inch also. I think the idea was drum would cool better with bell on them.

My brake guy calls these drums "Canadian drums", and the idea is that they shed snow better than the non flanged drum. Not rare, but nice to have if you need them. You can still get the non-flanged style but the flanged ones aren't available anymore. Hope this helps, Geof

My brake guy calls these drums "Canadian drums", and the idea is that they shed snow better than the non flanged drum. Not rare, but nice to have if you need them. You can still get the non-flanged style but the flanged ones aren't available anymore. Hope this helps, Geof

Hmmmm--- Makes sence.... I've never seen any like these...

Have a set on my 69 'Cuda (383 4 spd 8-3/4) and had em on a 75 Dart Sport (/6 auto 7-1/4) both were southwest cars, the 'Cuda sold new in AZ. Also had them on a 68 Barracuda (318 auto 8-3/4) PA car new. That rear is under my Demon now :-D
I believe they were small bolt pattern only.

They are definitely not as common as normal drums, and might help with heat, from what I read.
I have only ever seen them on 8 3/4's.

Darth vader hats! Save em for someone with a restoration 8 3/4 jobber

I've seen them on 7¼s, too. The design gives the drum more mass and more surface area for cooling than would be true for a typical cast drum.

They look like OE A body drums, they're worth about $0.08 a lb in scrap, I got rid of 5-6 sets a few months ago when I had to downsize my storage.

-
Back