What do I have here?

-

ValleyRat

Reaction score
Is this a carb worth saving? I don’t know much other than it’s a square bore Carter… Are these something desirable, or are they the Mopar equivalent of a Quadrajet off a Chevy 350?

This carb was on my 273 Charger engine. My thought was to replace it with an Edelbrock. Thanks!

0BCD1CAE-68A4-4424-BB4F-68CB5831F225.jpeg

61368351-2743-4032-BB61-A2A0B852A867.jpeg

5B7AF2E6-E01A-445F-90ED-414B24B8D208.jpeg

1A090C26-B1C8-4331-91CB-AC746F8C1053.jpeg

I would definitely hang onto it. 50+ years old, they are getting rarer and more desirable. I bought the equivalent for our 67 Commando 273.
Is this a carb worth saving? I don’t know much other than it’s a square bore Carter… Are these something desirable, or are they the Mopar equivalent of a Quadrajet off a Chevy 350?

This carb was on my 273 Charger engine. My thought was to replace it with an Edelbrock. Thanks!

View attachment 1715879533

View attachment 1715879534

View attachment 1715879536

View attachment 1715879537
4120S Carburetor Info Page

If it isn't frozen up, I'd rebuild it and either use it, or sell it for a nice profit. It does not look that bad.

Excellent carb! Like every other AFB.
From what can be seen of the bores/internals it looks pretty good. Clean it up & as long as there is no corrosion inside, good to go.
Replacing if with an Edel will result in a lighter wallet....& nothing else.

Thank you for the replies everyone! What is a fair asking price for something like this?

If nothing else I can clean it up, rebuild it, and save it for the right motor.

The original air filter which fits that carb will not fit the later Carter/ Ed---they have larger dia air horn

The original carb that came on your car when new?

I'd keep it.

For the hundred bucks you're likely to get for it, vs having the actual original carb for your car?

Also, there's not a lot to those carbs.

One of the easiest to rebuild ever.

If you decide to rebuild it. Be VERY carefully with the idle screws, if it is a CAP carb (I don't think so but...)

There are hidden set screws to prevent the idle screws from being turned or at least turned too much and if you force it you will break the screws and they are made of unobtainium.

Not to mention getting them out of the carb.

I bought the carb this way!

FIXED - AFB 4bbl broken adjustment screw

break it down and soak in 50% pine sol and water. 12 hours, remove and brush it, can go another 12 hours if that doesnt clean it. AFB's are porous so they seem to get very rough on the surface, perhaps this will be an easy clean up. Be careful with the delicate boosters, I left them in for a long time and they got eaten up.

-
Back