what do i have hydraulic or solid lifter?

-

n00blike

Reaction score
How do i tell what ones i have?
I need to find out what lash i need to set.

What kind of motor, year? We need more info. I'm guessing it is a slant six by the pic in your avatar, if that is the case and the motor was built before 79 then you have solid lifters and valves should be set at 10-12 intake and 20-22 exhaust.

Unless someone has replaced the rocker arms with adjustable ones they are non adjustable.
Just don't over tighten them, no more that 18ft lbs. on the rocker shaft to head bolts or they will twist right off and you will have to drill and tap over and over again.

pull the valve covers and if you have the stamped rockers then you have hydraulic and the preload not lash should be about .040. but the main thing is why do you think you have to adjust yours? did you just put the motor together or is there valve clatter, etc.? once its been set you really should never have to reset it. also if your assembling it do yourself a favor and take one of the bolts and match it up at a hardware store for some grade 8 bolts. much less likely to break.

sorry i guess i should add more info.

I have the heads off and i will be putting them back on in a week or so. the motor has the edelbrock rpm performance kit. It cam with their rpm cam, lifters, intake, and carb. Also has Comp cams roller rockers.

I was not sure with my set up if i needed valve lash or not. when i pulled them out they all seemed to have no play.

You never want lash with a hydraulic cam. You want pre-load. Read the instructions that came with the cam and it should tell you that.

-
Back