What do I need to do my electrical system in my dart.

-

MOPARMAGA

" The other hard member"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase some electrical components for my dart.
I don't really know anything about wiring a car, but I would imagine my drag car would be very simple.
I have an alternator, electric fuel pump, electric fans, electric fan transmission cooler, will be adding a electric water pump and the battery will be located in the trunk.
I have located a switch panel that has a relay and fuse block on jegs. I believe the brand is k&r and I know I'll need a battery box and wires for that.
What else do I need, please and thank you.

You need to add up all the amp draw of your electrical systems and then get a properly sized alternator that puts out that much at idle! You are probably idling in the staging lanes bringing the engine to temp and regulating it with the fans. So don't be surprised if you need a 180-200 amp alternator that puts out 75/80 amps at idle. And fat fat cables. Don't be fooled by a 100 amp mini alternator that puts out 25 at idle. Your battery will be toast by the afternoon. I've got a 180 amp power master on my RB motor plate in my 66 Valiant. Easy enough to install low down. I did a post on it last year. I believe some of the new Ford police cars have small alternators that put out huge amps down low for all the electrical equipment in a cop car.

You need to add up all the amp draw of your electrical systems and then get a properly sized alternator to put out that much at idle! You are probably idlimg in tje staging lanes bringing the engine to temp and regulatimg it with the fans. So don't be surprised if you need a 180-200 amp alternator that puts out 75/80 amps at idle. And fat fat cables. Don't be fooled by a 100 amp mini alternator that puts out 25 at idle. You're battery will be toast by the afternoon. I've got a 180 amp power master on my RB motor plate in my 66 Valiant. Easy enough to install low down. I did a post on it last year. I believe some of the new Ford police cars have small alternators that put out huge amps down low for all the electrical equipment in a cop car.
Okay, great thanks for that information.
I do have a 165 amp and a 75 amp.
Both brand new power master. I best go check the details on those.

Lol, my lightweight 75 amp says it's 7 amps at idle. The 165 is 100 amps.
75 amps is close to the total amps my stuff will be running.

You will need a relay for each of the items you mentioned, as they all draw a good amount of current.

Lol, my lightweight 75 amp says it's 7 amps at idle. The 165 is 100 amps.
75 amps is close to the total amps my stuff will be running.
Also look for the cut in speed and max speed. First one is to make sure you rev up the engine high enough when you start it to begin charging. Second is to make sure you don’t over speed it (not likely, but good to know if your pulleys end up over 2.5:1 or thereabouts).

Also look for the cut in speed and max speed. First one is to make sure you rev up the engine high enough when you start it to begin charging. Second is to make sure you don’t over speed it (not likely, but good to know if your pulleys end up over 2.5:1 or thereabouts).
Okay thanks, hopefully the alternator paperwork will say that.

Did you know your car is featured on Andrews racing transmission website....cool dude
Yessir! He’s not too far from me and built my first, and next transmissions. He’s a wealth of knowledge and an incredible builder! I give him a lot of credit for the consistency in my setup and run a huge banner for him on my back glass…was able to grab a track championship a little while back.

Also look at Street ET banner here:
E.T. Series - Bandimere Speedway

Yessir! He’s not too far from me and built my first, and next transmissions. He’s a wealth of knowledge and an incredible builder! I give him a lot of credit for the consistency in my setup and run a huge banner for him on my back glass…was able to grab a track championship a little while back.

Also look at Street ET banner here:
E.T. Series - Bandimere Speedway
Oh yeah, badass. Straight up YOINKIN.
I bought my stuff from him and picked his brain and another member

Heck ya, keep up the progress!!! Body work on mine is slow and tedious, but a little here and there is better than nothing!
I agree. I have not touched my car since June.
I have had 2 years worth of yard work to clean up on my property so I'm hoping to be done soon & get back to the car just in time for a little cooler temps.

I am getting ready to purchase some electrical components for my dart.
I don't really know anything about wiring a car, but I would imagine my drag car would be very simple.
I have an alternator, electric fuel pump, electric fans, electric fan transmission cooler, will be adding a electric water pump and the battery will be located in the trunk.
I have located a switch panel that has a relay and fuse block on jegs. I believe the brand is k&r and I know I'll need a battery box and wires for that.
What else do I need, please and thank you.
I would like to see a detailed schedule of what you plan! If you truly want advice post that here for review!

I would like to see a detailed schedule of what you plan! If you truly want advice post that here for review!
Id love to but there lies the problem, I don't know electrical.
I don't know what parts to buy or any of the details

Id love to but there lies the problem, I don't know electrical.
I don't know what parts to buy or any of the details

If you want a good start for what you’ll need you can go to Roadkill Garage on YouTube and find the episode where Freiberger wires the Frod.

He does more redundancy than you might need but you can get a good idea of what you’ll need to order.

And I agree with whoever said BIG cables was 100% correct.

Main battery cables- buy welding cable ( 2/0,3/0,4/0) finer strands & bends much easier than regular cable.

Main battery cables- buy welding cable ( 2/0,3/0,4/0) finer strands & bends much easier than regular cable.
I have been told to use that by other people as well. Thank you for the valid reasons to use it.

So I have a question, is 2/0 bigger - better than 1/0 in welding cable?
I read 2/0 can carry more amps than 1/0.
Just wanted to make sure

Yes, I made my own battery cables to trunk mount battery. Been there since the late 70’s. Never a problem with them. Mine are either 2/0 or 3/0, about 1/2”diameter. Car is at my youngest son’s right now.

You should make enquiries about your intended alt purchase. The alt characteristics can be changed by how the alt stator windings are would. Some alt designs produce higher outputs at lower rpm, which is what you need. You do not want to buy a huge alt just to get high enough amps at idle. It would weigh more & absorb more HP.

You should make enquiries about your intended alt purchase. The alt characteristics can be changed by how the alt stator windings are would. Some alt designs produce higher outputs at lower rpm, which is what you need. You do not want to buy a huge alt just to get high enough amps at idle. It would weigh more & absorb more HP.
Okay, thanks a lot I will look into that.

-
Back