what do i need?

-
If you call Comp Cams, they will tell you what components will work together for your specific application. Usually, most people will call them before hand with the specs on the car (not only the engine) and they will (as I mentioned above) tell you what components to use.

ok kool theres like 3 types of retainers does it matter which ones? also what push rods do i use for the proform roller rockers 1.5 ???

Look that cam up in there catalog on line and see what part number they recommend or call like GTX said.

I thought I talked you in to a smaller cam ?

Kid, you bought a huge cam for that engine. This is what comes from using desktop dyno with no knowledge of how it all works. And on top of that, you're not using the recommended spring. The 284HL requires the use of a double spring because of the ramp speeds it uses, and the lift it has. The 901 spring WILL NOT BE ENOUGH and you're asking to wipe the lobes at best. ALso, to run the 995, you will need the head's valve spring seats cut for double springs, and the guides cut for the small positive seals. You will needd the correct retainer for your locks, which are more than likely stock. So, you have the special retainer for the double springs and the stock multigroove locks. I think at this point, it's all moot. I was young and stupid a long time ago. Glad to see it's not out of style...:D

first of all BJR told me to get this cam. i dident know that i had to do all that stuff man im trying to make 400hp

so what cam should i ger if i run sotck compression which is 8.5 i think but the guy says its forged pistons what CAM should i use? 278?

im going to port the heads and bowl work
8.5-9.0.1 compression
what cam?
1.5 roller rockers

im loking for 400hp

I think the XE268 is plenty of cam for that motor. Or even a Magnum 268H.

Why so hung up on the 400hp number ? You should be more worried about what ET and how streetable you want it and less worried about ahp number.

I just dont want to see you stuck with a race motor for a street car. Trust me thats what I got myself in to. I can say I have a 500hp 340 but hopw street use will I get out of it ?

well for et i want low mid 12 with 3.91 gears and 3500 stall

and BJR said that a strong single spring will be good as long as the spring load is stong enough like 140 or 120

Comp Cams will not warranty the cam with out using there recommended springs. Not worth second guessing the company in my opinion. They have matched parts for a reason.. I'm not saying there aren't single springs that will work. I know there are but unless that's what the cam company said to use or the engine builder takes responsibility for them I wouldn't use them.

Wait a minute I told you to get that cam for the HP that you wanted and it would get you there but as for the springs you would need a good single spring, or a good dual and when we talked today I told you that I wasn't at the shop and didn't have a catalog in front of me and that I was working on a race car. And I also told you that there are some springs that will work that are single springs and that I would have to look and let you know. Yes I told you that you would need 130-140 on the seat and 320-340 on the nose, and that I would have to get back to you. I sure didn't expect you to be typeing as I talked to you on the phone as I told you without being at the shop I could give you a definitive answer.
Further more I don't like getting blind sided like this.

Moper,
Kudo's, I agree!

well thats true but if i use good enough single springs there shouldent be a problem if i go no higer then 6k rpm

sorry bjr i wasnt typing as i was talking to you i type this after i talked to you because i felt like they were saying tat i couldent use a single spring and thats why i said what you told me and the only reason becasue i thought there was a way i could use a single spring

DusterBoy, Please dont feel like anyone is attacking you, we are all just trying to save you from the same mistakes and wasted money we have all made.

If your only planning on a 6k red line you bought the wrong cam. I really think you would have been happier with a cam in the [email protected]" range then you will be with a cam in the [email protected]" range.

Im not saying it wont run ok but its going to what more compression, gear and converter then you told me you were planning on running.

Man, I'm amazed. Nobody even ragged on him about the CRAP proform rockers yet. Can I? If you can return them do so asap. they're junk. If you go with a smaller cam, I'd use the factory stuff before I'd use the proforms.

Duster Boy, If you put it together the way are going,..it might put up the numbers you are seeking. BUT,..you won't like it very much on the street. Over cammed, low compression engines just don't lend themselves well to street duty. We are just trying to inform you of the pitfalls of miss matched components. This is just FYI. Good luck, Terry.

well BJR convinced me that the 274h is what i need for the street and this way i will run with single spring and roller rockers and chrome molly push rods

and i jsut have to make sure theres 200 thousandths cleareance between the guide and the bottom of the retainer

ill agree with the 274h, thats what i am using for my 360, j heads.

bringing in the engine tomorrow to get the machining done, heres what i'll end up with

kb107 pistons zero decked
ported j heads-valves back cut
comp cams xe274h-complete k kit, $430 but you get everything
eddy air gap
650 holley vac secondary
k&n
headers
2.5 exhaust with h pipe

727 with shift kit
8.25 rear with 3.55 sure grip

it should be reasonably streetable and run some respectable hp numbers
i think you would be happy if you ran something similar

IMAGE001.JPG

DusterBoy15, I know that you are a very young local kid trying to figure all of this out but there is a wealth of information on this site that you could benefit from. By wealth of information, I mean professional auto techs and those of us who have learned all of the building/component choice mistakes (that you are/will be making) through trial and error. Do not try to reinvent the wheel. Instead, listen (listen very carefully), talk to people on the site that you feel comfortable with, talk to the tech guys from the manufacturers whose parts you are using and then write out or bang out on your computer a master plan for your vehicle (not just the motor). Everything has to work together in the long run. If you are low on funds (and I expect that you are with being 17 or so), still make the master plan and build/buy the sub assemblies (ie. motor, trans/conv, suspension, wheels/tires) to that master plan's specs so that all will work together well when completed. If you know what you realistically want out of the car, you need to put together basic info for when you speak to people to ask them questions. You will find that the master plan will go through several iterations/changes before it is done. That is fine; that is just the way it works. Just do not start buying parts before then. Again, the most important advice I can give you is do your homework and REALLY listen. Good luck.

the 3500 is ok but you will be running around 3200 or more at highway speeds depending on your tire size, so it depends how you want to drive it on the street

ill agree with the 274h, thats what i am using for my 360, j heads.

bringing in the engine tomorrow to get the machining done, heres what i'll end up with

kb107 pistons zero decked
ported j heads-valves back cut
comp cams xe274h-complete k kit, $430 but you get everything
eddy air gap
650 holley vac secondary
k&n
headers
2.5 exhaust with h pipe

727 with shift kit
8.25 rear with 3.55 sure grip

it should be reasonably streetable and run some respectable hp numbers
i think you would be happy if you ran something similar

Eric,

What size hides are you running out back & what is the max RPM you expect out of your combo?

-
Back