what do you clean your intake with

-

OUTLAW

Master of All Mopars
Reaction score
what do you use to clean your intake manifold while it is still on car. I don't want to take it off just to spiff it up

Gunk FOAMY engine cleaner and a pressure washer. The Foamy works best.

I have 3 pressure washers (one is a hot water washer) and I have tried everything mentioned. I was hoping someone had a super secret cleaner #-o#-o

thismanifold has some kind of aluminum paint on it (really looks like aluminum-didn't know it was painted until I went to clean it) I was hoping NOT to glass bead it on the car

Ha ha ha ha, glass beading on car!

Well, for the price of gaskets, that is not a bad idea to glass bead it.
The above mention products I have used as well and Eagle One aluminum cleaner as well. They do not get the OOTB luster back but will clean the surface well. Deep cleaning stains are all ways an issue.

I suggest power coating in alien silver.

I have 3 pressure washers (one is a hot water washer) and I have tried everything mentioned. I was hoping someone had a super secret cleaner #-o#-o

The only super secret cleaner that comes to mind is if you have a cat, let him lick the intake with his scratchy tongue.... LOL! :glasses7:

When we were younger, my brother's cat used to lick his face at night when he went to bed. It helped clear up his acne with the "sandpaper" tongue.... :D

On raw alum I use an acid used for cleaning cooling coils
on outdoor air conditioners.
There's 2 different kinds, 1 is a real soapy type and the
other is an acid.
I use the acid type to clean alum wheels and tough stains.
Makes the metal look like new.
I get it from a hvac tech that is a friend of mine.
I don't know what its name is, he gives it to me in a pump spray bottle and calls it coil cleaner.
Probably could get it threw Grainger's.

I can tell you this stuff works excellent on aluminum
but it might screw up paint.

The Dollar Tree sells and cleaner called Awesome for $1.00 that works well on aluminum intakes

thismanifold has some kind of aluminum paint on it (really looks like aluminum-didn't know it was painted until I went to clean it) I was hoping NOT to glass bead it on the car

So you left out some very important information. You don't want to clean the intake. You want to remove paint from it. Huge difference. I don't recommend putting anything on the intake that removes paint. It will also attack the intake gaskets. You want it done? Remove it.

Eagle one etching wheel cleaner will clean AL but it will also make it shades darker. So will most acid/sodium hydroxide cleaners will discolor AL. Remove and Glass bead is your best option then clear coat it. On the car, Purple power a few minutes at a time, agitate and pressure rinse. repeat as necessary. Watch overspray.....

to answer some of you,

bruce2001.... bacon grease?

Rusty..didn't leave it out just you can't tell it is on there it is the best fake aluminum paint I have ever seen - I'd be happy if it just cleaned it up lol
Purple power I use on my garage floors b4 I put a coat of white paint down

red67gts that is awesome stuff the wife uses it to get my laundry clean

longarm ... I think its called coil brite or sum such thing ...never had much luck with it or I used the wrong one.

Krazycuda... cat licking the manifold? Oh snap thats what bruce2001 meant about the bacon grease

rumblefish ... hope you realized I was not serious ...LOL:banghead:

you would think any good soap and 180* hot water would be all I need but no matter what I do the whole engiine bay and manifold looks like crap oh well!

I like Spray9 , by Knight Products. Very similar to 409. I buy it from my chemical/oil supplier. Sold it for many years.

I used The etching AL mag cleaner and it takes the luster down a notch, but if you do the entire thing, you cant tell. I see old *** intakes at the swap meet and they look new, asked the guy and he says he either glass beads them, Soda or walnut shell. Whatever he has available. he likes the glass bead and soda because they are white on the sand cast intakes, walnut is is less deforming on the polished intakes. Says glass leaves a little sparkle on it like glitter..for what that is worth. I also heard simple green is pretty good too but takes a while.

Aren't women supposed to be good at cleaning stuff??? LOL! :D

You all know where this is going... :glasses7:

I'm going to hide for a while so I don't get hit with flying wrenches from our resident female members.... :violent1:

[ame]http://youtu.be/1ZXHsNqkDI4[/ame]

-
Back