What do you guys think 3.58 posi

-

SB69GTS

Reaction score
Hey guys ....I have chance to purchase a 8 3/4 rear end that has just been totally rebuilt and refinished. He says its a suregrip with new 3.58 gears and wants 1200 or best off ....what do you guys thinks ....looking at puttin it in my 69 dart gt. Will wait for what you guys thins ....Using car mainly for show and street ... no major racing.

JMO, but I think his price is high. Is it an A-body rearend or will it need to be shortened to fit? I'd want to see ALL of the receipts and know the shop that did the work for that kind of money.

First off, there is no 3.58. The seller must mean 3.55. And $1200 sounds a little high to me. Center section is probably worth about $400-$600 but I don't see the rest of it adding up to $1200.

Yes with the 3.55 and no it doesn't seem to me as a very good deal, all the internals would have to be brand new especially the gear set, $800 would be a good deal.

Terry

Wow, I didn't know they were going for that!!! And here I was going to put the one I am completely rebuilding up for $750.00. Oh, by the way, mine has a 3:55 suregrip in a 742 case with the 7290 U-joint saddle, new brakes, SBP axles, and will be a drop in!! Message me if you're anywhere near Michigan, my $750.00 stands. I'm just waiting for the new axle bearings to arrive, and I need to have the rear drums surfaced. Good luck with your purchase, Geof

it really sux when people try to squeeze others for all they can get. it better have moser axles and disc brakes for that kind of cash. i'd pay no more than 700 for a rearend. maybe i am just really cheap.... lets not ask my wife....

Only way it's worth that much is if everything is new and upgraded. Like Moser axles, new Richmond gears with all new Timken bearings. Billet yoke. New upgraded brakes. Etc....

BTW: Way back in the early 60's they did offer a 3:58 gear ratio. That was in one of the old cases which I don't remember the # on. Make sure it's a 489 or 742 case.

i wouldnt do it not for that price. . . you could find a dana 60 for that much. but that's just my opinion

Sure ya even need a Sure-grip?
If I am totally redoing this car with a 340 ....would it not make sense?
Missing your point of view or reasoning to not put it in now.

Just got the numbers off it ....862 .182o657 I guess its a 741 and I will pass on it .... just trying to do everything right the first time. Thanks Guys

Just got the numbers off it ....862 .182o657 I guess its a 741 and I will pass on it .... just trying to do everything right the first time. Thanks Guys

If you have the rear apart and want a locking diff, now is the time to do it IMO. The question may be do you really want a locking diff and the problems that go along with it if the car isn't qoing to do (m)any ¼ mile runs?

Frequent problems are increased maintenance and a tendency for the rear to step out on the street when you tromp down on the loud pedal.

FWIW I'm building up a 8.75 for the Demon. Since it will mostly be used on the street the max gear I'm considering is a 3.55:1. Also, since the streets here are maintained at less than 3rd world standards, I don't plan on any fun stuff on the streets.

guys, are you serious? i'm thinking that 1200 is the going rate for a "complete" drum to drum with a center section. AND have a sure grip. I'm in pittsburgh and this really is the price. I was looking earlier this year and i can have a new one built with moser axles and green bearings, but no center section or brakes, for 600. currently on craiglist there is a center section that was freshly built with 3.55's in it and the guy wants 800 and has reciepts to back up his price. so there's 1400. throw in 100 bucks for brakes and drums your are 1500. This is just sad but true. 1200 for a complete sure grip 8.75 is just normal to me..... even a deal!

Not for a "741" case....maybe a 489. lionheart00007 What do you have in it now? If it's an 8 1/4 you could just put a posi unit and upgraded axles for alot less.

I stand by what I said earlier that $1200 is not much of a deal especially now that we find its actually a 657 pumpkin. Make sure the ends of the rear axles are flanged where the wheels bolt on and not tapered as was the case when the 657 first entered service. The brake drum was actually keyed to the end of the tapered axle and locked to it with a big assed nut. If the 657 pumpkin has been reconfigured as a 741 then $1200 bucks is way to much as the gear set selection for 741's suck and is only getting worse.

Terry

i got my entire A body rear end with new green bearings installed, new axles, and a VERY NICE pig with the good case(i forget what number it is exactly, i know i did the research though and it was the nice one) with suregrip 3.23's for $900. I think I payed a little much for mine, and 1200 sounds high like everyone else is saying..

also came with commplete 11 inch drums in good condition

Not for a "741" case....maybe a 489. lionheart00007 What do you have in it now? If it's an 8 1/4 you could just put a posi unit and upgraded axles for alot less.

I wish ....it has the stock 7 1/4 ..... i am trying to change this set up to a 727 with a 8 3/4 suregrip and the 340 ....but now seriously considering going to a 360 ...shear economics after finding the 340 and what has to be done to it..... heads need to be totally redone ... cost is nuts considering its missing parts off of it. going to see if i can find a donor car and use the rad, etc. from it and hope it will go into the 69 dart without too many issues. Kinda have a deal on a rebuilt rear.... 8 3/4 with 3.55 rebuilt and for 750.00.
Thanks Guys for the great advice ...have a great one.

A 657 is not the same as a 741. Like Demon Seed said that's the old differential that may have the keyed drums. They are garbage. Even if it has been upgraded to newer flanged axles and brakes with that ancient 3rd member expect problems finding parts if you need them. That's why the gear ratio is an odd 3.58 to 1 unlike the newer 3.55 to 1 in 741, 742, and 489 cases. Your making a wise decision passing on it Lionheart

-
Back