What do you guys think of hands-free driving in the newer cars?

-
I’m truly amazed that these auto companies are pushing this. You know somebody is going to do something stupid (like the Tesla driver who was sleeping) and cause a major accident. Then watch the lawsuits fly.
There was an incident here in Alberta a few years back where a Tesla driver had switched to auto pilot and was cruising along at somewhere around 90 to 100 mph, in a 70 zone, watching a movie!

My son does it when I'm in his Tesla, it makes me nervous as hell. I tell him when it F's up I better die cause if I don't, I'm gonna kick his scrawny little ***.:steering:
Personally, I would tell my son to either turn off the auto drive and put his hands on the wheel, or pull over and let me out. I would NOT put up with that if it really bothered me.
What's sad is those computers probably drive better than a good portion of drivers currently out there.
Until they don’t!

Absofuckinglutelyneverinamillionyears!! I guess that is clear enough, eh? Bad drivers are enough of a hazard. Machines driving the machine is worse. It boggles the mind that anyone could think this is a good idea.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I remember one situation (getting up to speed on an on ramp, rowing through the gears, making sure the baby in the backseat had his bottle, and steering with my knees) where autopilot might have been helpful

But the other millions of miles I've driven, I'm better then a computer

Now, that's me
90% of the other people out there, a computer might just be a better driver then them

Its all just an excuse to add $$$ to the car. Look inside your old car. Every "improvement" makes the price go up.

Its all just an excuse to add $$$ to the car. Look inside your old car. Every "improvement" makes the price go up.
Another example of unnecessary feature bloat. But this is one that is extremely dangerous. Just about as bad as the accidents that occur when the computer directs the car under a semi trailer or the car goes to pickup the owner from a parking lot and hits several cars on the way.

Drinkin', drivin' and druggin' just took on a whole new look and legal ramifications.

I read today that Ford is planning to discontinue the parking assist feature on their vehicles after the data they collected shows only a small percentage of owners actually use it.
The rest still park by feel.

No thank you! If you're to tired or lazy to hold on and steer the vehicle maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Ask me about PSC Liver Disease

If it is mostly morons who use it, aren’t we at least break even with morons behind the wheel?

-
Back