What do you pull your cars with?

-
Just got an 06 F150, 5.4, auto..haven't towed a car with it yet just my trailer, a 16' Dively with a full diamond plate deck. Have used:
1. 98 F150, 4.6, 5sp., great on the hiway, could have used some more torque to get it moving, no suspension issues.
2. 98 GMC Suburban 1500, 350, auto, tows great
3. 86 GMC Suburban 2500, 454, auto, did'nt even know you were towing something.
Like to tow with the sway bar / load equalizer setup, makes it alot nicer and good trailer brakes are a must.

When i brought my Dart home i towed it with my 82 Dodge D50 4x4. My Barracuda came home behind a 73 dodge Power wagon. And now any towing is done with my 82 Power Ram

this and a 16foot car trailer with electric brakes

trucks003.jpg

I just went to the U-Haul site and plugged in your info- '72 Dodge 1/2 ton RWD, towing a '71 Duster 8cyl., and it said that your combo IS acceptable with a class III hitch and you can rent a car trailer from them for $49.95. Sounds like something is up with the folks at your local U-Haul! Here's the link, follow the Get A Quote portion. Good Luck! http://reservations.uhaul.com/ReservationsWeb01/Towing.aspx?rateID=759577865

98 Dakota Sport, 5.2, auto, 4x4. Mostly only trailered once,to get them home as projects, then driven.

100_0164.jpg

I just went to the U-Haul site and plugged in your info- '72 Dodge 1/2 ton RWD, towing a '71 Duster 8cyl., and it said that your combo IS acceptable with a class III hitch and you can rent a car trailer from them for $49.95. Sounds like something is up with the folks at your local U-Haul! Here's the link, follow the Get A Quote portion. Good Luck! http://reservations.uhaul.com/ReservationsWeb01/Towing.aspx?rateID=759577865
This is what I got. 1972 Dodge 1/2 ton Regular cab 2WD class III hitch towing a 1971 Plymouth Duster (2dr)

Towing.jpg

I got the trailer option if I indicated a 3/4 ton, club cab 2WD. From the trailer page:
uhaul said:
Your towing vehicle:
Must be equipped with a hard top if it is an SUV. U-Haul does not allow any type of sport-utility vehicle not equipped with a hard top to tow U-Haul equipment.
Must weigh at least 3,500 lbs. (curb weight), and must equal or exceed 80% of the combined weight of the trailer (2,000 lbs.) and the vehicle being towed (up to 4,000 lbs.).
Must have Class 3 tow hitch (5,000 lbs. minimum weight-carrying rating)
Must have 1-7/8", 2" or 2-1/8" hitch ball (5,000 lbs. minimum)
Must not exceed maximum allowable hitch ball height 25"
Must have external mirrors on both sides
Must have fully operational lighting
Auto transport lighting must be operational at all times, day and night, loaded or unloaded
Maximum recommended speed is 45 MPH
The vehicle being towed:
Must not weigh in excess of 4,000 lbs.
Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25"
Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).
Must have a maximum wheelbase (distance from front axle to rear axle, usually posted on the driver's side door jamb) of 133 inches.
Low-hanging equipment on the vehicle being towed such as spoilers, air dams, ground effects, etc., may be damaged by contact with the Auto Transport during loading and unloading. Make sure there is enough clearance for these items.
:dontknow:

j

95 Ford F250 extra cab Diesel, 5 speed and a 20' Carson Deluxe open trailer.

For the weekend. stupid chevy powered motorhome.. lol

P1010126.jpg

For the day. 550 rwhp cummins diesel.. My other hobby and money pit..

d034cafd.jpg

P1010077.jpg

Wildcat.........
The problem with towing with the R/T was the rear springs. They were basically de-arched 4 cyl springs. I installed a set of Air-Ride airbags on the rear axle and the mini-compressor. 55-60 psi in the bags set the truck level.
One Dodge dealer looked at my rig and told me that I could not do that. I then asked if they had a hitch for my Dart so I could tow the Dakota home?

Wildcat.........
The problem with towing with the R/T was the rear springs. They were basically de-arched 4 cyl springs. I installed a set of Air-Ride airbags on the rear axle and the mini-compressor. 55-60 psi in the bags set the truck level.
One Dodge dealer looked at my rig and told me that I could not do that. I then asked if they had a hitch for my Dart so I could tow the Dakota home?
I tow with a '95 Dodge Ram 4x4. I also added air bags to rear leafs for a level ride. With 40 psi. of air in the bags the car on trailer rides nice and level.

1/2 ton Reg Cab is dolly only, Club Cab 1/2 ton you can rent a trailer. Go figure. I bought a nice trailer 2 years ago from a guy in Pa. off Ebay for $1950 brand new. Electric brakes, led lights, etc.. He even drove it down to me in Va. for another $100. I've used it to bring back cars from MI, MA. and a ton of around town stuff (full size '97 Cadillac is a heavy car!), and it's great. Tow it behind an ol' F-150 reg cab 4x4. Good Luck!

I have a 20' open trailer and a 32' enclosed gooseneck. Here are the trucks I use 2000 3500 Diesel w/upgrades and my 98 2500 4x4 12 valve w/upgrades.
19984x45la.jpg

10053823nn.jpg

I have an Ox and a thick rope LOL nah I borrow Pops' 98 ram 1500 4x4 and 18ft featherlite aluminum trailer if the GF or friends are coming along, if just me and the GF are going to the track for the day I use a 91 ram 4x4 318 and the same trailer. . . I really like the magnum motors!!! The 91 is slow but super reliable. . but the GF complains about leaf springs on all 4 corners so i just crank that one speaker!!!!:thumblef:

U Haul is kinda tough on the rentals I think. I wanted to rent a tow dolly to get the 66 cuda home behind my jeep rubicon after the E-bay purchase and they wouldnt let me have it? In the end I drove it the 6 hours home and have an awesome, scary story that goes with the trip that I wouldnt trade for anything!
Joe

Here is my rig.....wrong brand but it's got enough balls(250+) to do the job. The trailer is a home-made jobby A buddy and I built for hauling my A bodies.

hauler.jpg

I have several tow vehicles and trailers.
my dart gets hauled in a 2006 interstate loadrunner 24ft enclosed trailer behing the wifes 2003 excursion 7.3.
i also do some towing with my 78 dodge class c motorhome, or my 1970 dodge crewcab (both 440 powered)

Man I sure hate to be the one to state the obvious,go buy the trailer,who's doin the thinkin around there?everytime you rent a trailer it cost's you moo-lah and time to go pick it up,plus the extra gas,plus the aggravation of dealing with some yahoo at a desk about what you will pull the trailer with and what you will put on it,everytime you use your own trailer it will save you time,money and frustration not to mention it will come in handy moving the old ball and chain out and the new "hunny" in! So what ya gonna do now.............go git ya a dang trailer and deal with the aftermath,I had a wife that I was stupid enough to tell her what I was wanting to do,and when she disagreed it caused problems,but if I just did something like for instance bought an 85 chevy rollback without asking,then opened a small towing business without asking,the problem went away.I packed her stuff on the back of it and dumped it in her boyfriends front yard 8) life is much happier now!!!:love4:

68 A100 slant six pickup, will be towing my 2300lbs 62 Valiant slant six,to the local track 25 miles away,,,longer trips I borrow the pig 454 Suburban from a friend,Mark

93 Ramcharger with a 360 and 35's. It gets about 9 MPG pulling. It gets the job done little bouncy LOL but it works.

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Pulled this dart over two mountains yesterday with my 02 Dakota 4.7 4X4 and never got below 60 mph. Didn't push the truck much at all coming down. It's all in how you drive.

Pulling dart.jpg

-
Back