What do you think of gear drives ?

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
once I'm changing heads and things , s it a good chice for a street car? not a queston of value or money , but is it an impovement ver a chain and do they last ? any known problem areas ?

No reason to spend the $$ on one with the quality of today's chains/sprockets....I have had a few friends with 800+ hp race motors that used a chain.....

Gears allow more accurate timing. They also transmit more harmonics to the valve train then chains. Depending on which set you get, they are loud, almost supercharger whine loud. Some people put them on just for that reason. I would like to run a Jesel belt drive setup. Just to find away to mount it on a LA.

I had a Milidon gear drive for a long time on my 340, little noise yet not bothersome, I still have the gear drive, yet the motor is no more..

Noisy, doesn't make it sound like it has a blower without one sticking out the hood. Really stupid . I know a couple guys that thought it would be cool have it, changed it back to double roller. tmm

oh well just a thought , thught it would be an mrovement over the chan .

I like the sound, maybe that makes me just a but white trash... Timing wise, I'm not sure of the benefit, those Chevy guys are lucky with the jesel set-ups for a upgrade

Joe

No reason to spend the $$ on one with the quality of today's chains/sprockets....I have had a few friends with 800+ hp race motors that used a chain.....

Ink's thought's ,mine follow. For all the extra work,I would say no. The German "Rolon chain" ,was good Edelbrock,find one.

Unless your hanging out at the drive-ins Jerry, forget about the gear drive. In my opinion, unless you're running a huge valve springed race engine, it's a lot of coin & very little value.......But they do sound cool! :D

Gear drives are for the benefit of less spark scatter and more accurate timing which may be somewhat negligible compared to a quality true roller. Others install for the simulated Supercharger whine. I've got this belt drive on mine

Attachments

• 00l0l_eecS6It0lOU_600x450.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 290
Unless your hanging out at the drive-ins Jerry, forget about the gear drive. In my opinion, unless you're running a huge valve springed race engine, it's a lot of coin & very little value.......But they do sound cool! :D
Drive ins , really ? I just figured the gear drive would last forever and there would be no fluctuation of the timing . Like I sais , cost is NOT a factor , I am just looking for the most reliable longest lasting system , on paper the gear drive sounds like it's the best system .

If you wish to be different then go with the gear drive. They are pretty cool IMO. I have used both the Milodon and cheap CAT system with success. For a street ride it will last forever. Interestingly the CAT system was relatively quiet while the Milodon was VERY noticeable but not offensive. Get a really good harmonic balancer, think ATI here if you are worried about harmonics. Go Milodon if cost is no issue.

For a completely different direction consider a stock style link-belt chain and a timing chain tensioner if you want cheap and reliable. J.Rob

I'm with RAMM on this one. While no personal experience here, the idea of dead constant accurate timing that will last and last, it is a good idea.

The Milodon needs a mod to install correct?

What about the other one from Cat?

I've had a Milodon on my car for several years now. I kinda like the whine & have had people ask me what the noise was....

The Milodon needs a mod to install correct?
What about the other one from Cat?

The Milodon requires some (trimming) of the fuel pump eccentric. I'm not sure about the Cat hmmm..

I remember reading that gear drives consume a little more Horsepower compared to a chain.

I remember reading that gear drives consume a little more Horsepower compared to a chain.

Yes they do. Might be a minute difference on a street car, but the late Bill Jenkins.....I know, Chebbie guy :D, ran single silent chains on many of his race cars for that exact reason.

Unless your hanging out at the drive-ins Jerry, forget about the gear drive.

Drive ins , really ?

That comment was tongue in cheek Jerry :). I've mostly seen/heard gear drives on cars at hang outs or car shows for the reason of sounding a lot "hotter" then the engines really were...lol.

I'm not familiar with them on Mopar's, but your theory is sound as far as keeping the cam timing tight. I'm not sure about this, but if a "idler" system is employed for the SBM, to me it's just more moving parts to fail. And considering the mileage that most here put on their engines, I'm still not sure if it's worth the effort?

Maybe it's the way to go for you? Whatever you chose, I'm with you...

Your friend, Rick

-
Back