What do you think of sunroofs?

-
I began work at a auto glass center about a year ago. After seeing how they work, why they leak, etc..... I don't like sunroofs.

Mine is a factory installed, well I know the "factory" didnt install it, but anyway mine doesn't leak, its 37 years old, but if your talking about the ones that are the popup/aftermarket kind yeah THOSE LEAK bigtime!!

the one in my Stealth is awesome -it's an entire glass roof, and therefore no leakage at all- even if I leave it open when it's raining, no water gets in.

but like the other guys have said, pretty much every other sunroof I've ever seen has leaked.

I owned two cars with sunroofs, both leaked.

What happens is someone will bring their vehicle in because the sunroof is leaking. First thing we check is the drains. There are sometimes four of them or two in which dumps water through the A-pillars and out at the lower fender area of the vehicle (or the rear quarters if it has four). These drains get stopped up with dust, dirt, leaves, etc.. and does not drain properly. The result is the water pools up around the sunroofs flashing and eventually goes over the flashing. The fix is blow compressed air through the drain holes to dislodge the debris. The second cause is wore guides is which causes misalignment and the sunroof does not seal properly when fully closed. Most cases in which wore guides are the case we give the customer a quote on repairing or replacing the sunroof. If they don't agree on the price then we offer them another alternative and that is to seal the sunroof off with urethane and render the sunroof inoperable (unhook the sunroof switch).

I have a '99 Passat with a sunroof, can count on 1 hand the number of times it's been opened.

A sunroof has all the downsides of a convertible with none of the benefits. They leak, increase wind noise, and weaken the structural integrity, all without the benefit of truly top down motoring.

If you wonder why, given my disdain for sunroofs I bought a car with one? Simple, that's the way the all came, unless you bought a stripper.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Like most of the guys have said they suck! I have worked on many cars and now I am working at BMW where we have sunroofs, moon roofs, and panoramic glass sunroofs. All of which are a pain when they break. I personally don't like them because of the road noise with or without it open, lack of structural integrity in the body and of course working on them when they break. Mullinax95 pretty much summed up why they break and the simple fixes on how to both maintain and hopefully preserve them.

I dont want a sunroof or T-tops ever again.

times 2 on that, although i have a 96 z28 (my first experience with T tops) thats why i traded of my truck a few years ago to build a garage to keep it in.. even tho its only got 112,*** miles, and in excellent cond. they leaked a bit during a heavy rain... my only experience with a sunroof, was when i had a cherry 2000 dakota about 4 years ago, and some dumb A$$ who owned it down the line decided to have a sunroof installed, i was constantly messin with the open/close button tryin to find the "sweet spot" with the least wind noise...sunroofs look stupid, and are worthless on trucks...

My wife had a 89 Datona with "T tops".
Nice summer car, tops never leaked but she hated it.
If it was only 60 degrees outside, it would be over 80 inside because of the glass roof, if it sit in the sun for a couple of hours.

Had one in a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z.

It was factory. You could pop it up in back or take it out.

Hated it! like the earlier thread, you would be a baked potato
from the sun coming in.

my stealth has an upholstered cover that attaches to the inside of the sunroof, and matches the headliner. A couple days after I got the car, I pulled it out. An hour or so later, I put it back in. It's never been removed again (except for when the whole roof is out, of course).

my pop up more or less adds looks and on hot days pop it up n let some heat escape.. leaks tho

I hear all the horror stories, but practically every car I have owned with the exception of my Dart and now my daily driver Lesabre have had electric sunroofs. I love them. I buy cars because they have them. I have never had a leak and I drive with them open all the time. I think that next to cruise control it is the greatest option on a car. I have had them on virtually every car I have owned since my 1984 Camry.

My Vette had the targa roof and I loved it. Never had leaking issues with it. I have heard though that sunroofs leak bad, especially if you went aftermarket.

the wifie had a PT GT Turbo vert and it was nice ( no leaks ) but this one takes the cake.
DSC06267.jpg

takes about 30 seconds to go into full vert mode ;)

-
Back