What do you think of this?

-

TheTecher

Evan the jeeper.
Reaction score
32569_1388239717536_1578387732_30930422_5324585_n.jpg

Looks like the quarter on my barracuda was replaced at sometime many moons ago.=P~ Its braise welded so bondo wont work, and I dont know how to use lead. Right now my plan is to cut that thing they call a weld seam out and replace it with a small strip, the car is getting a top so that will kinda hide some of it. What your guys plan of attack on this one?

Evan

Doesn't look too bad. If you want to try to save it, its possible. What is around the small holes? Is it lead? Or just the panel is a bit rusted through? If possible I would mig weld the holes closed, grind the panel good, and use a good fiber reinforced filler. Duraglass works great for that. Then do your normal filler work on top. I have never had an issue putting plastic filler over brazed welds.

i was thinking clean it up and epoxy it and glass filler. i,m not a body man though

A bodies are real bad about that seam comin through. Especially ones with vinyl tops cause the factories didn't finish the body work completely. I would go all the way to the metal there. You'll be surprised by rust under there, I bet. Grind that brazing out and mig it up. Clean it all backup real good with some acetone. Then get some Eastwood's rust Encapsulator and paint right over the bare metal. Then bodywork over that. Cleanliness and dryness are most important for a repair that wil last.

I was thinking that may be a factory seam. hard to tell by picture.

In all likelihood, it is. The factories joint was done hurriedly and sloppily so there was lots of contamination.

It's really sloppy an the seam itsnt strait. It was covered with a sloppy bondo job and the other side is not like that. It's also misaligned at the trunk seam, it's wide at one end an narrow at the other.

A bodies are real bad about that seam comin through. Especially ones with vinyl tops cause the factories didn't finish the body work completely. I would go all the way to the metal there. You'll be surprised by rust under there, I bet. Grind that brazing out and mig it up. Clean it all backup real good with some acetone. Then get some Eastwood's rust Encapsulator and paint right over the bare metal. Then bodywork over that. Cleanliness and dryness are most important for a repair that wil last.

That car is a Barracuda so the chances of a factory vinyl to is really super rare. It would have been a mod top.

That car is a Barracuda so the chances of a factory vinyl to is really super rare. It would have been a mod top.

Well it must be a rare car because the fender tag decoded said it had a white vinyl top! I think once I have it drive able Ill get it down to my bosses shop and see what ha can do.

-
Back