What do you think?

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
I have been thinking about what I might be looking at for horse power/torque / 1/4 mile times and what not ( until I actually get the car done enough one day to put it all to the true test) but until then I figured I would see what your opinions might be?

Ill try to cover all the basics to give everyone a general idea of my setup.

1972 plymouth duster (factory weight give or take a few pounds) ,

8 3/4 posi with 4.56 gearing , 275/60/15 drag radials.

Fresh rebuilt 1967 318 LA ( new bearings,crank,gaskets,chain,soft plugs,spark plugs,and so on and so on, punched .030 over making it a 323 , has early 318 dished poly pistons which I was told by a member that the early poly pistons were 9:1 Comp ratio in a poly engine so with the smaller CC of the LA heads and being .030 over I would assume that the CR would be a bit higher.

The heads are the factory 67 heads but have been milled (not exactly sure as to how much though) I believe from the factory they are 64.5 cc heads from the info I have gathered from the casting numbers with 1.78" intake valves and 1.50" exhaust valves.

Summit long tube headers into a summit 2.5" header back dual exhaust system.

edelbrock dual plane intake , edelbrock 600 cfm 4 barrel carb , a "mild" cam (not sure on specs) but it seems to have the characteristics of a purple shaft, mild lumpy idle but not a super radical lumpy idle but deffinetly not stock,turns on fast when you give her gas.

904 auto , TCI sizzler 2200-2400 stall converter

some odds and ends 5 w30 royal purple engine oil ,battery relocated to the trunk , spare tire pan was cut out and removed by previous owner and replaced with a flat sheet of steel so it might weigh a SMIDGE less, rear springs have been relocated 3" inward on both sides and boxed in welded perchs to the subframe with what I "think" might be super sport springs? not 100% (not sure how to tell ?) ,manual steering, I have aftermarket power seats that I am sure weight a couple pounds more than factory, kelsey hayes disc front brakes.

I think that just about sums up the basics, if I left anything out just mention it and if it is something i know about I will be glad to fill you all in .

any help with number crunching and estimates would be appreciated ,thanks

Don't feel bad man, I get very little engine advise also ...

Everyone must ride scooters... For A-bodies only scooters, has a nice ring to it don't ya think??? ;)

If you do better than upper 13's consider yourself lucky. The areas most likely to keep you from going faster (other than a relatively small engine) are: heads, intake, and carb, so with 4.56 gears, you may run out of engine before you get to the lights.

If you do better than upper 13's consider yourself lucky. The areas most likely to keep you from going faster (other than a relatively small engine) are: heads, intake, and carb, so with 4.56 gears, you may run out of engine before you get to the lights.

Though a 318 may be "small" compared to other engines.....I have learned not to underestimate them lol, I have seen alot of respectable 318's that can move some cars down a quarter in a flash.

not that mine is some monster engine lol just saying.

explain why it is you think my intake carb combo is not good enough?

heads should be high compression heads but I agree that the flow on them is going to be restrictive being that they are stock ports and valve size.

and I agree the gear is a tall one out back and I will probably end up swapping out for a smaller one eventually but for now it should do.

its not going to be a strictly track car, just an around town cruiser that I can take to the track now and then.

I would assume that it would run mid to low 13's (more so) if I had a different gear in it out back

I shot some sneaky-pete nitrous to my scooter and got it into the mid- 20's in the 1/8 mile, 5 second 60-foot time..

Just raggin' ya man, I would try a higher gear tho if you're running a 1/4....

Not really looking for go faster parts suggestions engine wise, I'm not doing anything more to the engine, just basically looking for estimates with the current setup and estimates with a gear change.

Reason why is because eventually I plan to build a nice 340 or 360 a few years down the road , this 318 will move her around decent enough for now

-
Back