What does this do?

-

tekslk

Reaction score
RPV10 - lb Residual press valve. I was told to install one in front and one in rear brake system. Im changing from 4 wheel manual drum to 4 wheel power drum. What does this valve do? This is on a 67 ply barracuda.

I post this only as an explanation as to what they do.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performance-Products/JEGS-Residual-Brake-Pressure-Valves/948183/10002/-1

Another source,,,

Description

Forever eliminate the dreaded spongy-pedal syndrome. The SSBC Residual Pressure Valve retains brake-line pressure which keeps your brake pedal firm. A firm pedal engages quicker, giving you perfect braking response every time.

The Residual Pressure Valve works by stopping brake fluid from draining back into the master cylinder. This keeps caliper pistons and brake shoes from fully retracting so your brake system stays primed and ready for action—without brake drag.

Available in a 2 PSI model for disc brakes and 10 PSI for drum brake systems. Drums require more pressure to compensate for return-spring tension.

Like the name, it holds some residual pressure in the bake line after the pedal is released. This can be an issue in a vehicle with the master mounted under the floor. Fluid tends to drain back into the master causing you to pump the pedal to restore fluid back to the wheel cylinders and get a firm pedal. 10#s for drum and 2#s for disc. I don't think they're necessary for your set -up with the right master cyl. / booster combo. JMO
Larry

I have no problem spending the money for it if I need it, but from what Im reading they are for low mounted master cylinders and stuff like that, I may not need them.

All drum Mopar masters that I'm aware of in the original time we are concerned with came with installed residual valves

You may not need it/ them

You want them ONLY in the drum, not the disk circuit

Your master already may have them

What can happen without them is that the master can return faster than the springs in the wheel cylinders can act, and this can sometimes cause a slight vacuum, drawing a little air into the system

I think I will leave them out and save the 40 bucks, If I need them I can add them later.

-
Back