What else can go wrong with the car??

-

dgibby

Reaction score
In the past three weeks I think I've had more problems than in the 5 years I've owned the car.
The oil sender line broke, left me stranded an a hell of a mess to clean up.
Next, new fuel pump failed
then found a broken rear shock
and how about, charging system over charging issue
Then leak at the fuel tank, not related to the pump issue
and just wrapped it up yesterday, a transmission 3rd gear shifting issue
What really made it fun was that none of these things were happening at the same time.
Fixed one thing, test drove, came home with the next thing to deal with.
The fun never seems to end...

In the past three weeks I think I've had more problems than in the 5 years I've owned the car.
The oil sender line broke, left me stranded an a hell of a mess to clean up.
Next, new fuel pump failed
then found a broken rear shock
and how about, charging system over charging issue
Then leak at the fuel tank, not related to the pump issue
and just wrapped it up yesterday, a transmission 3rd gear shifting issue
What really made it fun was that none of these things were happening at the same time.
Fixed one thing, test drove, came home with the next thing to deal with.
The fun never seems to end...
welcome to owning a 40+ year old car. I always love it when people tell you to carry a spare of such items like those..... like where am I gonna put this trailer load of spare parts when im driving

I feel your pain, My friend talked me in to helping his friend out with a 29 ford with a chevy engine 5 years ago, and it just wont leave, one thing after another.

have you checked the headlight fluid? muffler bearings? left and right innie outie enumerators? and don't even touch the whoziewhamit - ever!

Dude,
You're driving it. It's not a trailer queen.

Respect.

Just drove home after my nephew replaced the small block rear main seal and oil filter base gasket. When I got out of the car, I see a trail of oil on the concrete. Well, I will look into it tomorrow.

Just drove home after my nephew replaced the small block rear main seal and oil filter base gasket. When I got out of the car, I see a trail of oil on the concrete. Well, I will look into it tomorrow.

hey, thats good, that means you didnt run it dry

keep us posted

hey it is still early today, a lot of chi- can still go wrong!!!!!!

I figured out years ago, with these old cars, untill you rebuild/replace everything, there are always things to break/go wrong! but now days, we buy new parts to fix a problem, just to figure out the China part were just bought was JUNK!!!!!

B UT you go by a NEW Dodge just to find out they Ram runs hot and after 5 trips to the dealer, they finally fix it....... the step son's 6 month old 1/2 ton.... ha... ya gotta love it!????

Have seen the oil filter base gasket to thin and will cause it to leak. needs to be like .080 thick if I remember correctly

We had a choice on filter base gasket in the box, a thinner black one and a thicker gray one, I picked out the thicker gray one.

Overheating never come up on the list?
That's a club you've joined once you take possession of a MOPAR. Be glad it's not freezing cold outside and it's your only vehicle that has to be a daily driver.
My 5 seperate outings I done with my car once I got it back into the family was very similar to yours...which is why it was down for a few years so I could nickel and dime it back onto the road. (and it's still pushing limits when I drive it)

Last edited:
The same things that go wrong with modern day cars goes wrong with classics "pretty much" I have a 95 Olds with only 50K. Last year the crap GM multilayer intake gaskets failed, filled the crankcase with coolant. GM should be forced to fix every one of these. Cost me a lot of money just in oil / filters to flush and change the oil about 4 times. Plus at my age working on that crap is no fun

I mostly only get stranded when;
I break something, like a driveshaft, a u-joint, a ring and pinion, a transmission input gear, a pair of yoke straps,
or I get a flat.
Been there done all it f those and man doesnit ever suck when it happens!

If you had a new POS, it would be tearin up too. They all do. It's all part of the hobby.

I get most nervous when its running great! Its like, "Oh man, whats going to happen next?" And....it usually does. But YOU can fix all these things without a computer. you CEL comes on and you get a no start on a newer car..."who you gonna call"

Ok you're typing skills are somewhat lacking, and your sentence structure could be betterrrrrrrrrr.
And BTW, I'm not picking on you either,lol;Nawwww

But your right! And all is good.

-
Back