What Engine to go with

-
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the site. I bought a 74 Plymouth Duster 360. I am debating on a few different engine opitions, and i am in need of some advise. I am looking at going with either a Gen 3 Hemi engine, 383, or putting a 408 stroker kit on my 360. Does anyone have any options on these, are they good idea, bad idea, etc...... Maybe someone has another setup that is better than any of these. I want a engine capable of 400whp+ with a decent top end(for the occasional highway run). Any advise is good advise! Thanks Everyone

Personaly...Id do the last one, it would be alittle easier to work with a small block in a car that was made for a small block. But thats just personal opinon.

Nice.

I have one as well. (74 Duster 360 car)

If you have the original engine, and you want more power.....I would suggest building a LA Based 366 (.030 overbore)....and just skipping the Stroker setup unless your budget allows extensive machine work, and custom/kit parts.

If your budget is unlimited.....do the Hemi with OD tranny setup....gas prices arent going down anytime soon.

There's my vote.

8 3/4 rear end and ill probably go with 3.55 gears. I haven't decided a Transmission yet, it just depends on which engine i go with. i have a troquelite transmission now

If it is a real 74 360 car it's a pretty hard to find car.If the block is original I would put it aside and go with the 383.

If it is a orignal 360. Pull it and keep it. Get another 360 and a stroker kit.
Bang for the buck and lighter weight than a big block.
But that's just my opinion. You know what they say about them!
Like a** holes, everyone's got one1 LOL!

Here, put this in it:

Attachments

• MOTOR.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 281
I'm partial to small blocks, but the main reason I posted was that I love your username, lol.

A real VS29L4 should not be cut-on , imo . Not many made , not many left .

Personally , I'd build either a 340 or another 360 for it ; slap a well-built 727 behind it ( at a minimum , Trans-Go kit , bolt-in sprag and a deep-capacity pan ) ; 3.55 gearing is a good compromise , as the 360 is a really torquey motor even in stock , low-compression form .

The stock diff would be an 8.25" ; but if it's already got an 8.75" , so much the better .

Got any pics to share ?

Lot of small blocks on this forum so your going to get a lot of people telling you to go that way, probably makes sense especially since your car already has a 360 in it.

So it seems that I should go with either 340, 360, or 408 stroker. I have read alot of good things about the 340, such as it should be the Hemi of the small blocks. I haven't found alot of things on the 360 or 408 stroker(except for dont order a blue print one). Maybe I haven't looked in the right places. The 340 seems to make a pretty decent amount of power more than the 360 in stock form, but would a high comp rating like a 10:1 on the 360 change that?

Build your 360 or go for the 408.
Either way you'll have a fun motor.

A real VS29L4 should not be cut-on , imo . Not many made , not many left .
best answer. if it's the OEM motor. set it aside. build something else and drop it in. save any parts you remove and try not to cut up the car too much. in ten years you or someone else will be very happy you did it this way.
... take it from someone who's killed a lot of original cars and wishes he had it all (well, ok some of it :) ) to do over again

chuck

This mite be a dumb question but why has only one person suggest a 383. Does it not fit in the engine bay very well? It seem's like a lot more powerful engine. I've seen a stock 383 dyno at 335whp. I haven't seen a stock 360 dyno yet, but isnt it in the low 200whp? Can anyone give me a idea of what a stock 360 dyno's at?

Go back and look at your original question.
You wanted an engine with a decent top end,for and occasional highway run.
Well a small block will do that. For the money, a small block makes the most sense.
By the way an A-body with a properly prepped 408 will wax an A-body with a 383.

An why would you stop at a 383 ? Why not step up to a 440 ?

personally, for anything except a drag car, why do i want the extra weight on the nose?

-
Back