What ever happened?

-
You can roll all the windows down in the vent window cars and still carry on a conversation at 60 mph, try that in any new car! How about the old hood ornaments. Outlawed around '68 because some dumbass got hurt when he stepped in front of a moving vehicle, go figure.

You can roll all the windows down in the vent window cars and still carry on a conversation at 60 mph, try that in any new car! How about the old hood ornaments. Outlawed around '68 because some dumbass got hurt when he stepped in front of a moving vehicle, go figure.

My favorite hood ornament was on some brother's mid '60s Caddy in Daytona Beach in 1974. The car was pink, had full-wide whitewalls, and a bowling trophy for a hood ornament. I almost ran off the road when I first laid eyes on that ghetto cruiser.

F crumple zones, F no chrome, F no drip rails, F plastic bumper covers, F styrofome bumpers, F gas guzzler tax, F emissions, F computers in cars, F fold down DVD players, F indash nav. systems, F O2 sensors, F catalytic converters, F trucks with back seats, F trucks with more than 2 doors, and F cars with no god damn style!!!

how about the sign of the times today. remember when 2 door cars ruled? 4 doors were family cars, you know ma and pa. station wagons were for the big family and grownups. get caught driving one around and you never heard the end of it. "take your mamas car home". now everything is a 4 door almost, and 2 doors are out of the norm. wagons are gone for the most part, but i feel they will return. i personally like them and would drive one today. mini vans are dying a slow death now as well.

Wagons became huge SUVs and mini vans or small hatch backs. Doesnt Vovlo still make there wagon ?

Dodge and Subaru both dropped 2 doors from there line (Neon, Impreza) due to bad sales.

The Honda Odyssey is probably the third best seliing car on out lot (civic 4 door #1, Accord 4 door #2) and a loaded one is over 40k.

You've obviously either not taken many off, only taken one type off, or are just ripping them off without care. No offense intended. These things are a royal pain in the butt.

I've had many rear bumpers here that require removal of almost the entire interior trim. They hide those damn fasteners everywhere. The rear bumper for a Taurus wagon is enough to make you want to blow it up.

I do more bumper cover swaps at the body shop then anything else. Most of them come right of and are held on by 1 bolt on each corner and a bunch of plastic clips. They come off in a few seconds.

F crumple zones, F no chrome, F no drip rails, F plastic bumper covers, F styrofome bumpers, F gas guzzler tax, F emissions, F computers in cars, F fold down DVD players, F indash nav. systems, F O2 sensors, F catalytic converters, F trucks with back seats, F trucks with more than 2 doors, and F cars with no god damn style!!!

Now tell us what you really think. LMFAO

Jack

I miss vent windows something awful. Threre was nothing like turning them all the way around and making air-scoops out of them which would dump huge amounts of fresh air in your face. The were also nice on rainy days etc. Instead we get these fan units you cant turn off. So much for progress....

My $0.02 -LY

I've had many rear bumpers here that require removal of almost the entire interior trim. They hide those damn fasteners everywhere. The rear bumper for a Taurus wagon is enough to make you want to blow it up.
I think that it's a Taurus would give me reason enough to blow it up...most piss-poor excuse for a car I've had the misfortune of driving.

I do sometimes miss wing windows. What I mis more though is the vents like in my duster. No need for air conditioning when you are on the highway. Just open the vent door and get a big blast of cold air. Don't get me wrong now I love my old cars and think they generally are better looking but you have to admit they really have just about solved most of the mechanical problems with cars. I remember when 100,000 miles meant a car was to be avoided like the plague. Now you should reasonably expect 150 to 200k out of a car if treated right.

I miss vent windows something awful. Threre was nothing like turning them all the way around and making air-scoops out of them which would dump huge amounts of fresh air in your face. The were also nice on rainy days etc. Instead we get these fan units you cant turn off. So much for progress.... My $0.02 -LY

I have a 05 Neon and you can not turn off the fan. I realy hate that too. I like to hop in the Dart crack a wing window and open the vent box. It works realy well. You can open it as much or as little as you want to control the air. I like the vent box's so much that when I deleted the heater I cut the pas side air box off so I could still have it.

100_0371.jpg

Sometimes simple = good. There is some tech that simply does not lend itself to being improved upon. My 2002 Saturn just hit 173K miles and runs like its brand new. It cost $12,000 new off the lot and gets 40 mpg for real. NOW the best they can offer me is this tinfoil piece of Eurotrash called the "Astra' that CAN be had with a stickshift (only manual in their whole fleet). It costs over $20k (the ones on their floor anyway) and gets 30 MPG! So it gained $8k in price and lost 10 MPG...... Dreadful sorry guys but my next car will be a used Toyota. Wish it were not so but I am no martyr.

-LY

my sentiments precisely! well said
btw waffleburger, hows the weather up there, i'm shipping my dart to seattle on monday so i can have some wheels when i come to visit my family for thanksgiving. i guess i should count on rain, eh?

030_1_3.JPG

my sentiments precisely! well said
btw waffleburger, hows the weather up there, i'm shipping my dart to seattle on monday so i can have some wheels when i come to visit my family for thanksgiving. i guess i should count on rain, eh?

The rain is supposed to start in this weekend but it has been drizeling today. Replace your wiper pivot seals and wiper blades if you havent done so already. You can get the seal kit locally from Shumakers in North Seattle or Laysons in Lakewood and the wipers are all over so you should be fine.
I've had the seal kit sitting on my tool box for the last 4 months i just need to get off my *** and do it.

thanks 360scamp,
i'm only going to need to drive it for the thanksgiving week and then its goin into a friends shed to hibernate for a while. hell until last sunday it had sat dormant for two years. including front upholstery by legendary, new tags, battery and shipping costs, i've probably got two grand into this move.
i must be crazy.
then again, i'm likely moving back to mainland in the next year or so (we'll see how our economy shakes out) and i need a ways to get around since i can't swipe my moms pt cruiser anymore.

032_1_1.JPG

034_1_1.JPG

I don't think they were outlawed - just went out of style. I've had an 81 and 83 Imperial that both had the "fine crystal" hood ornament.

But if any of you remember driving on bias ply tires, you will agree with me that you miss them like you would miss a pain in the a--. 10 to 12 thousand miles for a set of tires. Wet traction? Forget it. Handeling? Forget it. My Dart will never have them as long as I own it.

-
Back