what fastener is used for #516 valve cover

-

slim17265

Reaction score
I have determined that the thread count is neither 20 per inch or 24 per inch , it seems to be 5/16", this head (516)has 5 studs ea holding rocker cover, I have a tremendous asst of fasteners but nothing works, would this be some kind of acorn nut or sheet metal type fastener, please help I am putting on both heads today and would now be held up because of rocker covers. thanx

metric? I can not tell by looking at it. this is a std 1967 #516 head, I have the 5/16" cap screws that is used in the sixth hole. the other 5 are what looks like 5/16" studs with approx 22 threads per inch. I have many different kinds of fasteners in my shop nothing comes close to this, did they use metric in 1967? what I could do is to use my vernier calipers on the stud and they go to home depot and look at the metrics and buy something that looks like it has the same threads per inch with the diameter I will get from my calipers.

Studs are not stock for holding the valve covers on. The threaded hole in the head is 5/16-18 UNC. Quite often studs will be coarse on one end and fine on the other end so that would be 5/16-24 UNF. But if they are aftermarket who knows. I would just pull the studs and use bolts. I have 5/16 stainless bolts from the hardware store holding my valve covers on.

I have come up with a measurement of .245 on the studs (measured between the threads) and in measuring the supply at the store the only thing they had with that measurement was the #7-1.0 metric. I bought 10 but in putting them on the stud they seem to fit but are a little too lose on the threads to suit me. They probably could only be torqued down to around 15 inch pounds before stripping which would not be good. I will pick some 5/16-24 thread to try but I have already use the tool thread counter and the 24 did not fit. thanx for everyones input.

You need to run 5/16-18 threads on what ever you use to attach them. They are definately not metric.

mopars as well as brand x's all use 1/4-20(standard bolt has 7/16" head) nc thread pitch STOCK for valve covers. it may have been retapped.

I used *I think* Moroso studs on the valve covers. Off the shelf stuff. Same as Chevys I believe.

-
Back