What gears?

-

EvilScamp

Reaction score
I just pulled the rear apart i got for the Duster(8 3/4) to see what gears were in it,there 3.23 sure-grip.
Are these gonna be ok to run behind the 383 auto. i'm gonna put in it?
It's gonna be a street brawler it wil se cery little if any track time at all.

I'm already running a set in my Scamp and they seem ok to me,it did have 3.91's but it was way to tall a gear for the street so i switched it to the 3.23's.

they will be nice on the street.... weather or not the motor runs well with them depends on you engine combo..

The 3:23's will be okay for the street. won't launch as well, but best if for regular street use. I'm putting 3:55's in mine to give me better streetability, as the 3;73's in her now with Automatic are too tall for extended highway use. Is yours an auto or 4 speed? If an automatic, should do okay for what your primary use will be.

It should be fine behind that big block. Just don't go putting some crazy cam and stall converter in it. If you need more power at the track, just add a little NOS to it :sunny:

HawaiiDuster said:
It should be fine behind that big block. Just don't go putting some crazy cam and stall converter in it. If you need more power at the track, just add a little NOS to it :sunny:

I'm gonna be running a 509lift cam not sure about the converter yet.
Can you recommend one Craig?

with that cam you should run something like a 3000 stahl and 3:91 gears... with 3:23 gears and that cam its going to take forever to make power... how about a cam more on the lines of the comp cams xe262h or the xe268h ? they sound like more what you want to me... either one of those cams and a nice dual plane intake would work great on the street....

I agree with Joe. If you plan on running the 3.23s with the 383 Id step down in cam size. The XE268 would be a great street cam.

If you want to run the ..509 your gonn need atleast 3.91 a loose 10" converter and 10:1 compression. The .509" is rated to have 248 degrees of duration at .050" and is on a tight 108LSA Its not a bad cam fir the street just needs the right equipment.

Joe's on the money, you want alot of low end torque for what you want to do. The XE268 should give you a nice beat and still keep the power down low where you can make the best use of it with the 3.23 gear.

With that 509 cam you will need alot of stall, and with a 3.23 gear you'll be generating alot of heat in there on the street. If you plan on sticking with the 509 then you should think about putting the 3.91 in it. Alot of the guys here run 3.91 - 4.10 gears because we don't have to drive very far. In even ran 3.91 in my 5th Ave that was my daily driver. So depending on how much and how far you'll have to drive the car, you can decide you're final set up.

on top of all that the 509 cam has no business being anywhere near a 383.... thats what dick landy indistries told us when we were thinking about it a few years back..... i've always been told when your picking out a cam for a 383 you should almost cam it like you would a small block....

it also depends on how tall your back tires are!!!....a 383 will rev HIGH and it may like 4:10's and that will also help in the low-end torque!!

only run a 4:10 if you have atleast a 28" tall tire on the back though....i have a 340 with a xe294-h,28x11.5 hoosier qtp's with 4:56's for some EXTRA low-end grunt!!!

good luck!!!,mike

You guys are awesome! :D
Thanks for all the info.,i don't know to much about what cams and gears work good together most of what i did before was guess work.

It's gonna be a while yet before i'm ready to put the enigine in,i just wanted to get an idea of how this stuff would work together before i put it in.I'll have to figure out what i want to do until then a taller gear or smaller cam :scratch:
Thanks again guys :thumleft:

abodyjoe said:
with that cam you should run something like a 3000 stahl and 3:91 gears...

I have a .509" in my small block and I think I'm going to swap in the stock 1.5 rockers as the 1.6's are giving me too much lift. I'm just at 10:1 and have a 4spd. w/ 4.10's

The 4.10's are great get-away gears, but man-o-man, highway speeds? With the 2 chamber Flowmasters?

Huh? Did you say something? What....? :shaking:

-
Back