What gears?

-

Daves67Cuda

Reaction score
Ok, so I had the car jacked up today putting tranny fluid in it and decided to check out the gears. Well the driveshaft only went around 1 1/2 times and the wheel went around once. Does anyone know what this is or what gears they might be? My dad kinda thought it was weird and so do I. Thanks

Ya thats sounds a bit off. What rear axle do you have---8 1/4 or 8 3/4. Is it a sure grip or open diff? That gear would probly have a top speed of 200 MPH.

Dave, the 8 3/4" is the ONLY Mopar rear end that DOESN'T have a bolt-on rear cover. It'll have a smooth, welded-on back to it if it's an 8 3/4". Hope this helps.

Dave, did you have a look at the front of the differential to see if the original gear tag is still attached? Normally there's a thin metal tag attached to the stud that's at about the 11 o'clock position on the front of the center pumpkin. Having said that, a lot of them have been removed and not replaced over the years. :)

If its not a sure grip(posi), you will have to turn both wheels at the same time, couse if your turning one wheel the spider gears will multiply the gear ratio by 2. Thats why if you do a lot on one wheel burn outs, the open diff is spinning the wheel at twice the speedometer speed. exp. Burn out and speedo says 50 mph the one wheel is going at 100mph.

If it doesn't have a sure grip, the wheels will turn different ways. If that's the case, count the number of times the driveshaft turns to make the tire go two revolutions. If you have a sure grip, then you just count the drive shaft revolutions to make one revolution.

-
Back