what gives

-

Mopar Tim

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On the left is a rocker shaft that came with adj rockers from I thought was a 273. On the right is a shaft from a 273 with solid lifters. Came out of my 66 273 charger engine. Now the reason for this post is I installed the adj rockers using the shaft on the left and I did not get enough oil flow to rockers. I have asked about this on other posts. I mean ran it 3 min and still almost dry. I can see the for sure 273 rocker shaft would oil better. What gives? I only have one shaft like the one on the right, when I got car the left head was missing. Thanks. MT:burnout:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 275
they have to be oriented correctly on the pedestals. on one end is a notch, it must be facing down and to the rear on the right side and towards the front on the left side.

I was asking about the differences between the two. I definitely had them on correct. down and left.

[
I was asking about the differences between the two. .

So far as function, none.

I definitely had them on correct. down and left.

I don't even know what "down and left" means'

You either had that shaft on wrong, or the oil hole is not getting oil from the cam. Might be the cam bearing has slipped / in wrong, etc.

You have an oiling diagram, and understand how these oil?

down and left means...the notch on the shaft is pointed down and toward YOUR left which is the correct position for the shafts.

On the left is a rocker shaft that came with adj rockers from I thought was a 273. On the right is a shaft from a 273 with solid lifters. Came out of my 66 273 charger engine. Now the reason for this post is I installed the adj rockers using the shaft on the left and I did not get enough oil flow to rockers. I have asked about this on other posts. I mean ran it 3 min and still almost dry. I can see the for sure 273 rocker shaft would oil better. What gives? I only have one shaft like the one on the right, when I got car the left head was missing. Thanks. MT:burnout:

The left is a regular hole shaft and the right is what they call a "banana groove shaft".....Naturally as you have pointed out the banana groove shafts are better as the rockers get better oiling.....Both types came on 273's....Although if you used the one on the left you should still get an adequate amount of oil to the rockers or something else is wrong as mentioned

The left is a regular hole shaft and the right is what they call a "banana groove shaft".....Naturally as you have pointed out the banana groove shafts are better as the rockers get better oiling.....Both types came on 273's....Although if you used the one on the left you should still get an adequate amount of oil to the rockers or something else is wrong as mentioned

x2
you can also cut the grooves yourself with a cutoff wheel and die grinder.

One shaft has banana grooves, the other does not. While the banana grooved shaft will oil somewhat better, I agree with Del, that they will oil pretty close to the same. Or.....with everything right they should.

same engine put stamped rockers in it and oiled great. ran so far 300 miles. no problem. Putting 714 heads on it and would like to put original adj rockers and solid cam. And no it did not oil very good, I can see why. that design is BAD compared to the other. The banana grove has two oil holes not one and they are better placed. Engine is fine and runs GREAT! thanks.

You have an oil supply problem, not a rocker shaft "type" problem. Look at that shaft on the left, does it look like it's ever had an oiling problem to you?
Just for reference anyway... The shaft oiling holes face 15 degree away from the rocker bolt center line.
View attachment Rocker shaft oil holes.gif

The banana grove shafts are for use with the adjustable, solid-lifter, iron 273 rockers. The one with just a hole are for use with stamped-steel, non-adjustable hydraulic rockers.

with both shafts off...spin the motor over and see if oil comes out of the head...

The banana grove shafts are for use with the adjustable, solid-lifter, iron 273 rockers. The one with just a hole are for use with stamped-steel, non-adjustable hydraulic rockers.

I think this is exactly correct! Thanks.

Motor runs and has ran since I rebuilt it GREAT!! NO oiling problems!!. Thanks to all.

Well...buy a set of new adjustable rockers from crane or comp...they do not come with grooved shafts...

got many ungrooved shafts in use with adjustable rockers...

see if you have oil coming out of the heads......

That is essentially correct, however, each will work just as well with the other type rocker. The later shafts without the banana grooves have a larger oiling hole, so they probably flow just as much as the banana groove shafts. Typical of a large company to figure out how to save money by eliminating a machining step. No banana grooves probably saved a lot of money, while increasing the oiling hole probably cost nothing extra.

Well...buy a set of new adjustable rockers from crane or comp...they do not come with grooved shafts...

got many ungrooved shafts in use with adjustable rockers...

see if you have oil coming out of the heads......

Eggggzackly.

That is essentially correct, however, each will work just as well with the other type rocker. The later shafts without the banana grooves have a larger oiling hole, so they probably flow just as much as the banana groove shafts. Typical of a large company to figure out how to save money by eliminating a machining step. No banana grooves probably saved a lot of money, while increasing the oiling hole probably cost nothing extra.

And probably can use with either stamped or iron. Think of the money saved there!:burnout:

Eggggzackly.

Just saying HOW THE HE@@ would the freakin engine run 300 miles with no oil coming out the head!!!! I know you guys are trying to help, and I DO appreciate the info but DAMN! IT runs GREAT!! no noise from valve train with stamped rockers!! OF course it has oil to the heads! Thanks MT

Just saying HOW THE HE@@ would the freakin engine run 300 miles with no oil coming out the head!!!! I know you guys are trying to help, and I DO appreciate the info but DAMN! IT runs GREAT!! no noise from valve train with stamped rockers!! OF course it has oil to the heads! Thanks MT

I have not and am not arguing that it has oil to the heads. I really don't care that much. It's not mine. lol

-
Back