What got you hooked on A-Bodies anyway?

-
Never was into them until I found a 73 Duster on Ebay and thought it would make a great race car. My wife who was a Ford freak fell in love with it so I bought it for her. My 76/70 Dart was a parts car for her duster but it was clean enough to not scrap it. I always loved the early A and found my 65 in a field and bought that for my wife to race cuz she quit racing her duster and proceeded to beat my challenger to death. Anyway...... I like A bodies.... no laws against it. Now I'm getting into the cummins diesel stuff.... never ending money pits!
received_1795265687438448.jpeg

In 1971, senior year of high school, I saved a $1,000 down payment from my summer jobs and convinced my father to co-sign on a loan. I loved the all Mopars at the dealer at the time. A 340 Duster or Demon was the one I could afford. I test drove each and was smitten. The other deciding factor for me was that the factory A-Body exhaust system sounded better than the E-Body version. Then, out of nowhere, my dealer got a late model year transfer of a '71 Cuda 340 with 4 speed, shaker and 3.91 axle package. They offered a discount so I jumped. It turned out to be a flashy car but a lemon. Electrical issues. Mechanical issues. I had a list of 15 warranty items in the first week of ownership. Should have bought the A-Body!

My first car was a 63 Nova with a 350. My best friend bought a 340 Dart and blew the doors off of everybody it looked so cool and fast. A great cruising around in car. Our other friend got a 71 roadrunner and everybody hated riding in that car. Especially if you didn’t call shotgun. After my kids got older I was looking for a Dart but found my Barracuda while fishing for the Dart.

When I was 8 years old (1968) I was injured in a jungle jim playground accident. The school nurse called my uncle to get me to the hospital. I remember laying on the backseat of his black '68 Coronet, hearing the 440 roaring, watching the telephones fly by. Ever since that day I've been hooked on Mopar. My grandparents always had Mopars, and I eventually purchased my grandmother's '69 Satelite (318, 2-bbl, auto) in my senior year of high school. During my college years I had a triple green 1975 Dart Swinger (purchased from our local Fire Chief (apparently he was tired of RED vehicles)). Got out of the hobby for a while (wife and kids). When my youngest (son) was 6, I was looking for another "toy car". B-body prices were completely unattainable for me. At a local car show my son and I found the '71 Dart GT. The price was still to much for my budget. The following year my buddy and I saw the '71 Dart GT at the 2003 Woodward Dream Cruise. The owner and I struck a deal and I was the new owner 3 days later. The Dart GT's previous owner and I still hang out at different car shows. He has asked me to sell it back to him multiple times, but I'm still having lots of fun with it!

April 2004 issue of Mopar muscle there was a black on black 426 hemi hurst Dart. Something clicked in my head and I’ve had an addiction with a bodies ever since.

Picked up a 1947 Chevy truck cab.
Was going to build a cool truck with a 1958 354 supercharged hemi.
Same guy that sold me the truck decided to sell me a couple of darts.
Bought a 67 and a 69 dart from the same guy.
Dart was closer to being done. So I started building that.

Needed a rolling chassis and could not find an E body....Found a 72 340 Demon

-
Back