what grade of ethanol-free gas...

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Just found a gas station about 7 miles from where I live that sells three grades of ethanol free gas.

Am I correct in thinking my '65 Dart (slant six) would be much happier running ethanol-free gas?

Will it make much difference what grade I put into her? Should I go ahead and pump the highest grade of octane or will the cheaper stuff be okay?

I haven't been to the station yet so I don't know what grades of octane are available.

Any ideas?

Glenn

dont really matter unless u let the car sit for a long time the ethonal breaks down quicker. if u have a renner station they have evreything race fuel-real gas like in the day ur talking about. my cars run fine on pump gas unless urs is a rebuild im not sure its good to switch octanes all of a sudden ive herd its not good to switch around types of gas. just my thought

ive ran all three and it didnt make any difference in mine, only in the wallet. i use the 85 since its the cheapest

our grades our 85 87 91

The biggest thing for running modern gas w/ ethanol is to insure all your fuel lines are new. Use the (expensive) fuel-injection type rubber hose. Rubber in the carburetor might degrade. I know the accelerator pump in my Holley 1920 failed after ethanol was used. If you rebuilt it in the last 20 years using a then current kit, it should be OK. The non-ethanol gas you found still won't have tetra-ethyl lead in it. Without that, you still have concern with valve seat wear. If you get a valve job in the future, have them install hardened seats.

ive ran all three and it didnt make any difference in mine, only in the wallet. i use the 85 since its the cheapest

our grades our 85 87 91

That surprises me,as I used Ethanol Free (don't remember octane grade) and got much better gas mileage than Ethanol !!

That surprises me,as I used Ethanol Free (don't remember octane grade) and got much better gas mileage than Ethanol !!

the funny thing is that i really noticed a difference in my fuel injected jeep 4.0. it really liked the 91. my 318, not so much. the HEI conversion i just did made a world of difference though.

We have been playing with it, no #'s yet. The boat guys swear by it; more hours on a tank. Boat dealer that sold buddy a new engine said use it; even put it in your lawn mower, and see how much longer a tank lasts. Even trade off for $/hours. And cleaner.

Ethanol contains about 40% less energy per kilogram than gasoline. So logically 15% ethanol / gasoline fuel will contain 6% less energy and yield 6% less fuel mileage and power in a vehicle designed to operate on gasoline.

I reckon it will be the same for any non diesel or street driven engine.

Alcohol's only advantage is that it cools and resists detonation oh, it may create less emissions. But on the other hand it makes about half the energy so probably it actually creates more emissions because you burn twice as much for the same amount of work!

Select octane based on engine to resist detonation and regardless you will get more power and mpg with pure petrol.

Ethanol is a farce. It has been implemented (forced on us) long before the infrastructure is economically available to support its use as a fuel. Since it takes roughly twice the volume to drive the same distance (running pure ethanol) shouldn't it cost roughly half the price or better?

I prefer # 5 fuel oil myself.

Hey, how much is it per gallon? Is it listed on this site? If not you may want to send them an email or add the location.

http://pure-gas.org/

Ethanol is the government's joke! Burns fast and uses an extreme amount of water to produce. JMO I run 91 octane pump gas no ethanol.

87 Should Be Fine For Your Slant Six, But It Wouldnt Hurt Every Now And Then To Put Some 89 In Her

It's listed on Pure-gas.org. It's located in Seattle but it's about 7-8 miles from me.

Bill Waters Spirit Services, 9500 35th Ave NE, Seattle.

I called them yesterday. The gal that answered the phone said "Yes. We sell ethanol-free gas". That was enough for me.

Glenn

There are several stations around here that have 1 pump offering ethanol free regular grade. I haven't seen a higher octane ethanol free though.

-
Back