What happened, Corvette?

-
And here the tables get turned, the 454 vette is a stone in this video and the hemi beat the crap out of it. so goes to show you how critical tuning etc is and was .
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3pVXik_NGc"]Very Rare 426 Hemi Super Bee vs 454 LS6 Corvette - 1/4 mile Drag Race - Road Test TV - YouTube[/ame]

But the 427 Ford was better than the 428 or 429. IMO

Most definitely .. the 427 was the king of what Ford put out in the day for the street .. the bad *** of our neighborhood had one in a 63' Galaxy 2x4 / 4-speed car ..probably two tons of car and that thing was a monster .. would like to have seen the Fairlanes on the street with that engine

They never built and sold a LS6 or LS7 Corvette in 1970. In 1971 they sold a few LS6 cars but they were rated 425hp with a lower rise intake and lower compression then the Chevelle LS6 of 1970. Similar they didn't actually build and sell any 1971 Chevelle LS6s. There were rumors of LS6 Monte Carlos in 70 and 71 but it appears they were all added at dealerships or later, nothing factory.

Most definitely .. the 427 was the king of what Ford put out in the day for the street .. the bad *** of our neighborhood had one in a 63' Galaxy 2x4 / 4-speed car ..probably two tons of car and that thing was a monster .. would like to have seen the Fairlanes on the street with that engine

My machinist is doing a build right now for himself. He is putting a all aluminum 427 4 speed in a 68 Mustang

The engine that could have.....and would have shut them ALL down was the SOHC 427 Ford. Had NASCAR not outlawed it, things would have been different in the muscle car wars. That engine was well over 600 HP out of the box.

I have respect for all of the heavy hitters of that era regardless of make. It was a special time that will never happen again.

They never built and sold a LS6 or LS7 Corvette in 1970. In 1971 they sold a few LS6 cars but they were rated 425hp with a lower rise intake and lower compression then the Chevelle LS6 of 1970. Similar they didn't actually build and sell any 1971 Chevelle LS6s. There were rumors of LS6 Monte Carlos in 70 and 71 but it appears they were all added at dealerships or later, nothing factory.

Exactly the information I have found.

There were factory SS454 Monte Carlos, but they had the LS5. They were super cool.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2012/11/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

never happen again?

hell cat?
5.0 Coyote mustang?
super charged chevy ls whatever its called?

the HP wars are on again.

never happen again?

hell cat?
5.0 Coyote mustang?
super charged chevy ls whatever its called?

the HP wars are on again.

Nope, not like it did back then.

You can barely hear those cars go by in stock form. It's not the same.

I do agree though that the muscle car wars are back on and I am glad to see it.

Another strange thing about Corvette is in 1973, Black paint was not available.

Correct on the black not available on the order sheet, BUT, 30 1973 Black Corvettes were produced by the factory

One dealer special ordered 30 Black vettes. Read an article in Hemmings muscle car review (I think) many years ago about these 30 cars. Gave the magazine to a guy I work with that has a 1973 Black Corvette, his was repainted black not one of the 30 that he knows of.

WildCat, Cool , sounds like the things Mr. Norm did at his dealership.

The engine that could have.....and would have shut them ALL down was the SOHC 427 Ford. Had NASCAR not outlawed it, things would have been different in the muscle car wars. That engine was well over 600 HP out of the box.

I have respect for all of the heavy hitters of that era regardless of make. It was a special time that will never happen again.
We used to have a mini rod tractor for tractor pulling. A guy had a 427 SOHC in a minirod tractor and that thing made a ton of power! And boy it looked great as well. It was running NA against blown SBC, like ours, and did very well. Very impressive.

We used to have a mini rod tractor for tractor pulling. A guy had a 427 SOHC in a minirod tractor and that thing made a ton of power! And boy it looked great as well. It was running NA against blown SBC, like ours, and did very well. Very impressive.

They were badass for sure. Oh what couldda been. lol

-
Back