what happens if your 904 shift linkage isn't adjusted right?

If the linkage is adjusted wrong, will it mess up the tranny?

• Yes, dummy

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No, still a dummy tho

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

65TerrorCuda

Reaction score
I found my shifter cable wasn't adjusted right on a hurst v-matic attached to my 904. It was off three whole turns on the morse cable end at the trans, so that when I had it in "D" it was partially selecting 2nd.
Fluid is red and clear, smells normal. My vacuum has gone up 2-3" cruising since fixing this, I'm wondering what the hell I did to screw this up 25 years ago. Shifts completely differently too, much better and like it should

Also, there used to be smoke that I thought was blowby coming from the hood but that's disappeared. Man I must've been laying in the dirt getting bit by fire ants while adjusting the shift cable with a chicken nugget to goof up this hard.

Here's how far off it was before. I just popped the barrel out of the arm and snapped this pic:

shift linkage.gif

Last edited:
Well if the fluid is clear and it ain't broken, don't fix it. Good catch! When I was in high school I rebuilt 12 torqueflite transmissions and every single one of them failed due to the first/reverse servo piston seal failing. It seems like 50 years later there have been so many rebuilds and modifications done to all this old stuff that you don't know what your dealing with. As an example I have done a couple shift mods to fords where they give you a template and you drill a small hole in the valve body orfice plate...who will ever know that in the future?? Good luck!

My guess and it's just a guess, most of what you describe have nothing to do with the trans linkage being off.

My second guess is that if the lever was off by an amount that PERHAPS a valve or two in the trans were not 100% in the right place and some hydrolic fluid and pressure was going somewhere else then where it should have been. That MIGHT explain the change in shifting.

As for harm... If any was caused the damage is already done. Just enjoy the car till there is a need to rebuild the trans. 25 years is a long time but the miles is the killer, my trans was rebuilt last in 81 and has around 136,000 miles on it. Still shifts like new!

Does the Year affect the Adjustment Process? Is it the same for a 727?
Hope You're doing Good Brother Kim!

Does the Year affect the Adjustment Process? Is it the same for a 727?
Hope You're doing Good Brother Kim!
I believe it does on a 904 from early to the later years. The rear band matters as they have a double wrap band in the later years. Yes, 727 also as the application matters. We’re good up hers but the colder weather is here. I guess I have to get climatized. Kim

I believe it does on a 904 from early to the later years. The rear band matters as they have a double wrap band in the later years. Yes, 727 also as the application matters. We’re good up hers but the colder weather is here. I guess I have to get climatized. Kim
It was 90° a few days ago, now I'm the 60s, with ANOTHER HURRICANE hitting... not calling for a direct hit here, but skinning the hair so bad, we Will have issues...

-
Back