what headers

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
ok, im sure this topic has come up before but....i cant decide on headers. I CAN NOT afford a set of TTI's otherwise i would get a set. Im looking to spend around 350 more or less. any brand to avoid? whats everyone running. oh the engine is a 360, headwork, lumpy cam, ect... and this is a street car. what'd do ya think?

Summit Racing $105.00 They are the cheapest available and fit the same as every other 1-5/8" tube street header. No sense on spending more for something that still needs to be hammered to fit.

Summit Racing $105.00 They are the cheapest available and fit the same as every other 1-5/8" tube street header. No sense on spending more for something that still needs to be hammered to fit.

i seen the summit 105.00 header but didnt even take a second look. Seems a little too cheap to me, anyone run them? quality?

I've used Hooker, Headman, BlackJacks and Sumitt headers. The BlackJacks were the worst. Then, there fit is all the same there after.
The sumitt flanges are thinner, but will seal and work well if you do not over tighten them. Careful on this part with any manufacure of header.

I wish I could point out a header that doesn't have at least 1 tube under the front steering componets. That would be the one I choose.
On my E-body Cuda, the Hooker Super Comps do not go under the steering linkages. There no to much cheaper than tti's and there not coated.

Headman makes a decent header,stay away from Hooker their JUNK!

Excuse but I beg to differ on this: I installed Hooker competition headers in my 1967 barracuda with a 340 auto, they fit better than the cheap ones I was using (not sure what brand) back in 1989. They fit well and lasted better than any header I had used before (mostly on chevy's). car was driven on street for 50-60K miles over a 4 year period before I got married , started having children and parked car in garage. The headers were the Hooker Competition model recommended for that application with the 1 5/8" tubes, they fit better than any set I had seen at the time. They were a pain to install and replacing the standard starter is very difficult, but they did work well and did NOT interfer with anything (power steering, steering linkage, engine trans, oil filter, etc.). They were painted black and have rusted from being driven on street in rain and snow and then sitting for 12 years.

I purchased the same basic design headers for my 1973 dart sport last year, I got them from Summit for $369 plus $10 for shipping. These are the Hooker Competition headers with the ceramic coating. The fit well and I can replace my MP mini starter without even loosening any header bolts. They would fit my car with the Power steering box installed, although I did convert to a manual box to save some weight.

Just my $.02

Bob

The one down side is you have to be careful when driving over speed bumps, I scrapped the headers in the barracuda a few times. The dart only sees track duty and has not scrapped anything yet.

See, proof that one person will exp. a well bent up set of tubes and another will get crap from the same maker. Nothing new there!

Just a quick note, If your running a Milodon deep oil pan, The only set of headers (out of the 4 sets I tried) that fit are TTIs. I know they are expensive but the only way I would use another brand is if they were given to me. Otherwise I would wait till I had the extra money.

ok, im sure this topic has come up before but....i cant decide on headers. I CAN NOT afford a set of TTI's otherwise i would get a set. Im looking to spend around 350 more or less. any brand to avoid? whats everyone running. oh the engine is a 360, headwork, lumpy cam, ect... and this is a street car. what'd do ya think?

don't think you would want tti headers anyways, ya there guaranteed to fit but not to make power, my friend bought them, pay'd to the tits and they had little to no hp gains. me personally i'am running hooker super comp fenderwells, fit good and perform

hmm, instalation is not a big deal as quality for me but...notsure i guess. Is it worth spending over 300 on a set of hookers or 105 on a set of summits. (I dont have aproblem on spending a little extra on hooker, i just dont want to pay extra if its not needed)

I have Hedmans they fit without any dinging and clear everything. You can swap the full size starter just be disconnecting the inner tie rod end and with the mini starter it goes in an out without disconnecting anything. I especially like the ball socket end on the collector, makes it easy to get a leak proof seal.

The only down side is the flanges at the head a relatively thin so you have to be careful bolting them up to the head to get a leakless seal. I am using double gaskets which have worked well for the past 20k miles.

These do wrap under the center link on the drivers side but it has been a non issues as far as clearance is concerned for me. one of the tubes runs close to the head near the 5 and 7 plugs and it's a tight fit with the standard 13/16 hex LA plug. If you use magnum plugs which have a 5/8" hex (same in everyway but the hex) it's a non issue. I also use plug wires with 90 boots on the 5 & 7 plugs and route the wire under the tube to prevent burning the wires.

You can get painted ones for about $150 and ceramic coated ones for $300 from Jegs or Summit. I personally wouldn't ever spend over twice the amount for the TTI's just to avoid the tubes going under the center link.

I have Hedmans they fit without any dinging and clear everything. You can swap the full size starter just be disconnecting the inner tie rod end and with the mini starter it goes in an out without disconnecting anything. I especially like the ball socket end on the collector, makes it easy to get a leak proof seal.

The only down side is the flanges at the head a relatively thin so you have to be careful bolting them up to the head to get a leakless seal. I am using double gaskets which have worked well for the past 20k miles.

These do wrap under the center link on the drivers side but it has been a non issues as far as clearance is concerned for me. one of the tubes runs close to the head near the 5 and 7 plugs and it's a tight fit with the standard 13/16 hex LA plug. If you use magnum plugs which have a 5/8" hex (same in everyway but the hex) it's a non issue. I also use plug wires with 90 boots on the 5 & 7 plugs and route the wire under the tube to prevent burning the wires.

You can get painted ones for about $150 and ceramic coated ones for $300 from Jegs or Summit. I personally wouldn't ever spend over twice the amount for the TTI's just to avoid the tubes going under the center link.

yeah, good to hear that you havent been going through exhaust gasket, the guy who runs the machine shop told me to get a set of hp 340 manifold just because he always had problems with going though exhaust gaskets. The hedmans look nice and are inexpensive, i guess ill have to chose between these, the flowtechs, and the hookers

Just a quick note, If your running a Milodon deep oil pan, The only set of headers (out of the 4 sets I tried) that fit are TTIs. I know they are expensive but the only way I would use another brand is if they were given to me. Otherwise I would wait till I had the extra money.

Adam

What issues have you had with the fit, with the mildon? The rub?

hmm, instalation is not a big deal as quality for me but...notsure i guess. Is it worth spending over 300 on a set of hookers or 105 on a set of summits. (I dont have aproblem on spending a little extra on hooker, i just dont want to pay extra if its not needed)

The hookers are 169. The 300 is if they are coated.

ok, so ive got it narrowed down to the 149.00 painted hedmans or the 169.00 hookers, Is there any at all advantage to the hookers, if not ill just get the hedmans

ok, so ive got it narrowed down to the 149.00 painted hedmans or the 169.00 hookers, Is there any at all advantage to the hookers, if not ill just get the hedmans

At the show here in June, this was a question i had(what headers) and it seemed that anyone that didnt have TTI or Dougs, had The Hooker comps.
Thats what im going with fyi.

I've got the Hooker Competition. They are tad bit rusty but work fine. I wonder if you wrapped them in that heat wrap stuff before you mounted them it would not show the eventual rust.

Motor 006.jpg

Motor 011.jpg

Motor 009.jpg

-
Back