What Heads will get me ALL the power I can make

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Are the Edelbrock heads the best for the money 1200? or are there better heads for less that still have the closed chambers so that you can get a boost in compression? I want to know becasue im going to save up for heads rather than port the ones I have

I'm planning a 418 build this spring and was thinking of getting a set for the new motor. If I buy them right now they will throw in a jacket. By my wife's shopping standards thats a good deal. LOL You know when they get a coupon that said spend 20 to say 10.

haha, Well i have regular magnum heads and will be running 10.7 compression, so Im not sure but I think I can run higher with these. I want to be able to get everything out of the .521 .524 lift and all the compression I can get out of 91 octane since my motor right now will run on 89

Are the Edelbrock heads the best for the money 1200?

1200.00 where are you buying them that cheap??..mine were 1400.00 and that was 3 years ago..as for an answer to your question yes Edelbrocks are the best bang for the buck...

W2 Econo Heads 700"
W2 P4529994
"As Cast" cfm
Intake/exhaust
59.2/50.5
121.7/109.7
181.7/154.4
228.9/173.2
248.1/175.6
262.5/175.6
268.9/175.6
265.0/174.4
253.2/172.0
249.8/172.0
After Home
Porting cfm
Intake/exhaust
60.2/50.0
127.2/105.4
184.1/154.4
232.1/185.3
254.5/193.8
273.7/199.9
289.7/203.5
302.2/208.3
302.2/208.3
280.0/210.8
You will notice Ryan's "as cast" W2 head had 3cc larger volume intake ports and flowed over 8 cfm more than MP rates them at.

With 300+ cfm, ported W2 heads will easily support 600+ h.p.

Why pour money into your old cast iron factory heads? If you go all out and have factory iron heads ported, you still end up with well used castings and more $ in them than W2 head setup plus you still need valves, springs, retainers and keepers. W2 Econo heads are under $350 each for bare castings. Actually you can assemble W2 Econo heads cheaper than buying the Edelbrock head assemblies and the W2 will flow more air in both "as cast" and ported versions.

Currently there are several Intake manifolds available for the W2 heads including:

P4529408 Single plane with heat
Holley Strip Dominator/Team G #300-17
Weiand Stealth dual plane #8015
P4876829 Race single plane for short deck
Indy Heads race single plane
P4529874 Tunnel ram 2x4bbl.

Dyno test in the March Mopar Muscle Magazine shows the P4529408 on a set of ported W2 heads feeding a 408 stroker small block pounding out 583.9 h.p. and 533.8 pounds of torque.

W2 heads from Mopar Performance...where small block power begins.

W2's are a whole other animal vs your average bolt on head. But you do need a different style intake manifold, and headers or header adapters. It'll bring the cost up depending on where you 'find' or buy your parts.

Personally, I will be buying a set of Magnum Edelbrock heads for my 360 when it's time.

Yes.. but you also need to use a intake manifold made for w2's,w2 rocker gear,and headers made for using w2's,,in the end you'll have more money in a w2 set up then the 50 lbs LIGHTER Edelbrocks...your chart shows flow numbers at .700 lift how many here are running cams that big,not many i'll bet .500 numbers would be more realistic,and i'm sure a well ported set of Edelbrocks will flow numbers very similar to w2' at that lift...w2's just like steel heads are becoming extinct...

street strip
4.10 gears
3400stall
Xe274 cam with 1.6 rockers so .521 intake .526 exhaust
kb107 10.7 compression or 11.1 with alum. heads
air gap intake with holley 750 vac

Ethier use the Edelbrock heads or port the iron heads. They'll port out to match or excel beyond the edelbrock heads. It''ll be cheaper to port the iron.

W2's are a whole other animal vs your average bolt on head. But you do need a different style intake manifold, and headers or header adapters. It'll bring the cost up depending on where you 'find' or buy your parts.

Personally, I will be buying a set of Magnum Edelbrock heads for my 360 when it's time.

not went you have two or more of everything.....

but edelbrock heads are probably the biggest bang for the buck

I have magnum heads right now, what will things look like if i got the Edelbrock heads like power wise to the flywheel and possible 1/4 times. The only thing is that If I port the magnums it would be around what 800? thats 400 less than magnums that need no work. and then later i can still port the edelbrocks...

not went you have two or more of everything.....

but edelbrock heads are probably the biggest bang for the buck

Yea there's some guy out in the desert with two...or 8 or 9 of somethings. lol

I'm moving back out that way the 27th, I'm sure I'll run into you sooner or later. :-D

I have a complete set of new W2 E heads with a New W2 M1 intake & New W2 A-Body I am willing to sell for the right price.

The magnums wont work with that cam without some work on the spring and valve setup, and then you need to port them to get what you might want... I would go Edelbrock Magnums if you have a magnum block, or RPMs if you dont. I think W2s are too much head/intake size for waht you're building.

wont work? what do you mean wont work? they are set up with dual springs already, I dont have a magnum block but can I use the edelbrock magnums anyways since Im using regular magnums?

and why are the w-2s too much? the lift of my cam is around .521 meaning my heads need to flow well at that .500 so that I can get everything out of the cam

hmm, I think I might just go to the edelbrocks Thanks though

or should I just port the magnums I have and port my intake

Magnum heads are lift limited because of the design.. short installed height. You can install longer (Chevy) valves to get the greater lift potential with better springs. No factory head comes with double springs. What you are probably seeing is a single spring with a flat wire dampner inside it. It does nothing for extra spring pressure. It only provides alonger spring life. Also, the Magnum rackers are 1.6 ratio... So your cam lift, is that for 1.5, or 1.6? Most cams are shown for 1.5s. IMO, you can spend all the money you want to get the factory Magnums to flow well. Or you can just order RPM LAs or Magnums, have the guides and valve job checked, and be done. IMO, the W2s are too much head for your intended use. There are a bunch of different W2s, so maybe this set is ok (iron econo?) but if they require the intake and headers, I dont think so. Great heads, adn $1700 is a good price sight unseen for the whole package... but more than you need. Another thought is the Engine Quest Magnums. Also, for a cam choice... you want a cam that will open the valve into it's greatest flow window, and keep it there for a while. If your head flows well to .450, you want a cam that will open it fast,and keep it at .450 for the longest time. (hint... A .500 lift cam isnt at .500 for very long ;) ).

part of the problem with the w2 heads is the rocker arm availability....mopar and crane used to make w2 rocker arms that were reasonability priced...

now you need to buy from hardland sharp...t&d...jesel..and maybe erson....be prepared to spend about 800 bucks to start with...

and the econo only save money on the shafts and stands....still need the w2 rockers kind of takes the word econo out of the picture.

Magnum heads are lift limited because of the design.. short installed height. You can install longer (Chevy) valves to get the greater lift potential with better springs. No factory head comes with double springs. What you are probably seeing is a single spring with a flat wire dampner inside it. It does nothing for extra spring pressure. It only provides alonger spring life. Also, the Magnum rackers are 1.6 ratio... So your cam lift, is that for 1.5, or 1.6? Most cams are shown for 1.5s. IMO, you can spend all the money you want to get the factory Magnums to flow well. Or you can just order RPM LAs or Magnums, have the guides and valve job checked, and be done. IMO, the W2s are too much head for your intended use. There are a bunch of different W2s, so maybe this set is ok (iron econo?) but if they require the intake and headers, I dont think so. Great heads, adn $1700 is a good price sight unseen for the whole package... but more than you need. Another thought is the Engine Quest Magnums. Also, for a cam choice... you want a cam that will open the valve into it's greatest flow window, and keep it there for a while. If your head flows well to .450, you want a cam that will open it fast,and keep it at .450 for the longest time. (hint... A .500 lift cam isnt at .500 for very long ;) ).

My heads do have double springs and a dampener, I know becasue I looked and posted a picture on a Topic in the past. And yes the decsion is to ither port the magnums like BJR did with a pair in one of his topics or go directly to a pair of edelbrock magnums

-
Back