What Helmet to use.

-

340dartley

Reaction score
Getting ready to head to the track for the first time in several years. Back in the day it seemed no one checked helmets and we just ran what we had laying around the garage.
I am now a little older and wiser but my budget is about the same aka not much. Anyway I am in the market for a helmet.
My car should run low 12s high 11s. I was looking at open face vs full face. NHRA rule book says you can use any helmet that meets Snell SA2005, M2005 or newer. I have a dirt bike helmet that meets this criteria so I should be able to make it out there but would like dedicated drag race helmet. Looking at Jegs website I see G Force , Racetech, and Simpson as being the major brands of auto racing helmets

Any other suggestions or advice? Thanks

NHRA rules lets the helmet be legal for 12 yr from DOM...2005 good to 2017...

I am now a little older and wiser but my budget is about the same aka not much.

How much is your head worth?

Well the worth of my head is debatable but not completely relevant. I don't need a 2000 dollar top fuel approved helmet I want something that is legal, safe, and functional. I have been leaning towards an open face simpson or equivalent. What about the open face vs full face debate?

On my dirt bike I wear an expensive helmet but I did not always. I have owned different brands from Fox to HJC to Scorpion. Currently I use a Shoei but I upgraded as I could afford . I have no doubt that the less expensive helmets would have protected me just fine in 99.9% of the crashes and I would recommend any of the for dirt bike riding.

As far as drag racing is there a reason to stay away from a particular helmet or brand?

where are you located? I'm in NC near Fayetteville. I have some decent, and some cheap, kit that you could borrow to help dial-in what your needs are..

As far as open vs closed, I strongly suggest closed. I have seen first hand the damage even a low drama roll or impact can cause to the face, it can be very nasty.

I would never push any auto with out five point harness, full nomex to include gloves and socks, full face helmet, Hans device, and arm restraints. Some guys scoff at going all out on safety when it's a street/strip car that not race dedicated, I'm fine with that, because I prefer my skin to theirs anyway. A good analogy that I heard many of us old(er) guys can relate to..Think of all the times you have hurt your back, was it when you were intentionally lifting something heavy, making it a point to use your legs, stabilize your core, etc, or was it when you reached to pick up a battery or tool real quick at a weird angle, twisted to catch a frisbee playing with the minion, etc. Moral is, be prepared, or be sorry.

Like I said, I have some kit you are welcome to borrow or purchase thats just gathering dust. I sold my race car and def get more smiles per mile cruising the street with my lady friend in the seat next to me, so I doubt I'll make it back..

where are you located? I'm in NC near Fayetteville. I have some decent, and some cheap, kit that you could borrow to help dial-in what your needs are..

As far as open vs closed, I strongly suggest closed. I have seen first hand the damage even a low drama roll or impact can cause to the face, it can be very nasty.

I would never push any auto with out five point harness, full nomex to include gloves and socks, full face helmet, Hans device, and arm restraints. Some guys scoff at going all out on safety when it's a street/strip car that not race dedicated, I'm fine with that, because I prefer my skin to theirs anyway. A good analogy that I heard many of us old(er) guys can relate to..Think of all the times you have hurt your back, was it when you were intentionally lifting something heavy, making it a point to use your legs, stabilize your core, etc, or was it when you reached to pick up a battery or tool real quick at a weird angle, twisted to catch a frisbee playing with the minion, etc. Moral is, be prepared, or be sorry.

Like I said, I have some kit you are welcome to borrow or purchase thats just gathering dust. I sold my race car and def get more smiles per mile cruising the street with my lady friend in the seat next to me, so I doubt I'll make it back..
Thank you and I appreciate your advice. I am in California so quite a ways away.. my car is a strip only cat although I may street licence it so I can get more use out of it.

I will think about your advice. I would like a full race suit with gloves and shoes pants jacket etc. Just peacing it together right now. I have raced before and in the past it was blue jeans and tennis shoes. I would never make fun of anyone for going all out for safety. I also ride motocross at a mature level and have much of the same discussion as to what is overkill on safety.

-
Back