What If Build Ideas...for Land Speed Racing

-
after seeing all this and the talent you have, have you considered building a "dip tank"? then everything would be coated and you could offer the services to others.
Now that would be something, but gosh, the amount of paint involved in that would be far too much

I have my problem areas fixed. Ended up cutting a section out of the roof to have proper access and do it right

Final paint was completed this weekend. So chassis, engine compartment, interior and trunk area are all silver. I had thoughts of painting the cage bars a different color to be more visually appealing, but can't commit to that. Likely just leave it as is and start the reassembly. Put the front suspension back in on Sat. Have to be smart about doing everything in the right order so it makes sense. Plan is to add nutserts where self tappers were so tubs and quarters are easily removeable. Some should be done before the rear suspension goes it.

I got the steering reinstalled last night, as well as the the tubs and rear quarters (just with self tappers for now to clean up the garage floor). I also pulled the trans off the engine, installed the flywheel and started setting up the clutch, but realized I didn't have pressure plate bolts. Rats. Those will be here tomorrow. We will be up north this weekend, so next week will be shimming the hyd throwout bearing and putting the engine/trans back in the car. I would like to make up some wheel cribs so as to have the wheels on the car when plumbing and wiring. Will be nice not to have all the jack stands under there while doing that.

Final paint was completed this weekend. So chassis, engine compartment, interior and trunk area are all silver. I had thoughts of painting the cage bars a different color to be more visually appealing, but can't commit to that. Likely just leave it as is and start the reassembly. Put the front suspension back in on Sat. Have to be smart about doing everything in the right order so it makes sense. Plan is to add nutserts where self tappers were so tubs and quarters are easily removeable. Some should be done before the rear suspension goes it.
Won’t matter what color the cage is when it’s covered in salt or dust. Just sayin.
Nice progress for sure. What were the hold ups? Did you find bars that weren’t welded?

Won’t matter what color the cage is when it’s covered in salt or dust. Just sayin.
Nice progress for sure. What were the hold ups? Did you find bars that weren’t welded?
Agreed on the paint. Just the artistic side wanting things - blah. As for the hold ups, there were some welds/weld areas that I wasn't super happy with, so they were fixed correctly. Even cut a hole in the roof for better access. Another hold up has been my daily driver POS truck that needs constant work... 2001 with 320K miles

That’s the only right way to do it. We cut the whole roof off the cab of our truck when we did the cage.

You’re only halfway there! My 2001 has 629,000 miles on it.
:rofl:
I wish, at this point, I had cut the whole roof off

What truck is that? 629K is awesome! Mine is 2001 F350 7.3L 4x4 crew cab - and being in the rust belt, I have replaced the bed x2, the entire cab, front fenders and all 4 doors.

Last edited:
2001 Chevy 3500 quad cab dually 8.1 vortec Allison 5 speed. Greatest vehicle I’ve ever owned. I turbocharged the big block at 200,000 miles and it hasn’t missed a beat. It’s at 629,571 right now.
7BBB2C4C-2863-4636-BCE2-4D5ECECF9664.jpeg

Last edited:
Now that would be something, but gosh, the amount of paint involved in that would be far too much
Definitely, but probably not as much as you think.

The factory dipping process for things like suspension components was not a tank full of paint--it was a tank full of water. A thin layer of paint was poured on top of the water, where it floated due to its lower density. By the time the part got through to the water, it was already coated in paint, so no ill effects. When the paint started to skin, they'd rake that layer off, add paint, and keep going. The same process was done for cosmoline.

-
Back