What in the World is a 454 Hemi?

-

65 Dartman

1 of None 65 Dart Sedan Delivery
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We stopped for gas at a local station yesterday in our late model Challenger. The guy filling up next to us asked if the car was one of "them Challengers". I said yes. He proceeded to tell me his dream car is a 69 Charger RT. he would eventually find one with a good body and interior - no motor needed. He said he already had a motor for it - you guessed it - the famous 454 Hemi! Luckily, I finished gassing up about that time, told him good luck in his search and left before I cracked up laughing.

I don't know about a 454 Hemi, I looked at a '66 charger one time the guy claimed had a 440 Hemi in it. weird but it just looked like a run of the mill 440 wedge head.

in all my years of driving old iron...every story told to me involved a big block...no one EVER had a 6 cyl or small block....lol

one guy told me he had an R/T just like mine with the fake louvers connected at the factory for cold air...his car had the "cold air" option.....and another exclaimed in disbelief to his son that my car didn't have a 6 pak.....like the one available in 69.....

Since 454 is Chevy's biggest BB, and the Hemi is the most powerful engine made, then Chrysler couldn't have made the Hemi.

It was a Chevy 454 Hemi.... Chevy HAD to make the Hemi....

Jeez, don't you guys know anything????

I tried to correct people like that but anymore I just let them be stupid. lol

i made a good buck when I sold him that power plant. Tried to sell him a Chevelle R/T to go with it, but he insisted on the Charger. Don't blame him.

Mopar was not exclusive
.. the hemi was found in 1907 Fiats,1912 Peugeots,the 1914 Alpha Romeo as well as Toyota,Jaguar and BMW at various times.
Maybe he meant the Chrysler 354 hemi of the 50's

The big Chevy heads are actually close to the Hemi design. They even call them "semi Hemi" at one time trying to steal some glory.......but they ain't THAT close. lol

My 74 Courier was pretty much a hemi. It was a stone. It had the optional factory cruise control. You threw a brick on the gas pedal

ARIAS

ls%20hemi.jpg

engines%202010-05-15%20018.JPG

all it takes is to make a 454 hemi is a regular set of 454 heads, a die grinder, some time and commitment ;)

The early 1950's Hemis were popular with drag racers. Not sure why. Sounds like that might be what he had. I imagine a major design problem to install one in a 69 Charger and might not even fit. Anyway, no harm in him talking and dreaming. Many wait for retirement, then end up sitting on the couch watching daytime TV instead. I would guess 3x as many unfinished projects as drivers (my wife likes to point at mine).

sounds like a chevy boy that knows nothing about mopar engines,but only know the mopar body syles,i find them all the time

You mean if I put a Hemi emblem on my Dart.....I don;t have a 318 Hemi?

-
Back