What intake and lifters would you recommend?

-

Badart

Reaction score
I am pulling my hair out trying to decide on an intake and lifters. This is a street car. If possible I would like to keep the heat crossover, because I am running a 6 pack scoop. I am leaning towards the Eddy RPM, but I would like to keep some torque down low. Another one I am leaning towards is the Weiand Stealth. What do you recommend and how do they work for you? Here is my combo.

360/904 Combo

Zero deck 360 with KB107s 10.1 CR
Comp Hydraulic Flat tappet XE284H
240@50 on the intake
246@50 on the exhaust
.507 lift intake
.510 lift Exhaust
110 LSA

J Heads 2.02 1.60 cleaned up to flow 250ish
Hughes LA roller rockers
Hooker comp headers (hopefully TTI pretty soon)
Holley 750 Vac secondaries
3,000 Stall convertor
3.91 gears

As for the lifters I have heard that Comp has had issues with their flat tappets. I don't want a flat cam. I will be running Joe Gibbs oil also.

ive had a few lifter issues as well.im currently running crane anti pump up hyd lifters with no complaints .they make some very,very slight noise.as for the intake both should work fine .ive never run the stealth,but ive used the eddy rpm,and rpm airgap with great results.

I appreciate the comments about the RPM. I have heard that Comp has had issues with thier lifters. Is the issue fixed? Anyone using Rhodes or Howards with an agressive cam?

eddy rpm is hard to beat...have you given hughes lifters a thought? give them a call...

Does teh RPM have a heat stove? I didn't think so. I know the Air Gap doesn't. I think the Steakth would be a good choice but gasket match it... You'll see why when you put the gasket up to it.

I've had no issues with Comp but honestly I haven't used one in a year now (took most of this year "off" from cars for the most part). However if the lifter bores are no larger than .906" and you check and verify the lifters rotate, and use the right oil or additive, and run the outer springs only initially, and the engine is not rotated for 50 revolutions to prelube or diagnose a bad ignition or lack of fuel, and it fires immediately and you can get it above 1800rpm for at least 20 minutes without shutting it down because it's overheating, you'll have no issues. Miss on any of those steps, and you very well may have a problem. Which is why most of the time guys blame the lifters... If you wanted to feel better and pay for something I don't think you need for that cam, use Howard's EDM lifters.

Do you have ethier ntake on hand? If you have both and plan on a two different rides, one more radical than what you have now, I don't see a big difference between intakes per-say. I'd like to see a dyno run between the 2 intakes.

If you have the them, I think you'll do just fine with ethier.

Try them Hughes lifters with the hole in the face. That lubes the cam lobes DIRECTLY and greatly reduces wear.

Didn't Comp Cams do that first? Or Lunati?

Didn't Comp Cams do that first? Or Lunati?

I don't know who did it mass produced first......but it was probably created by some hick dirt track redneck lookin for an edge with his illegal *** .650 lift cam. LMAO

Ba ha ha ha, now how do I find that so easy to beileve. I'm sure with nothin better to do during the daytime hours, he was thinking of something to get the "edge" in that weks feature.

Does teh RPM have a heat stove? I didn't think so. I know the Air Gap doesn't. .

The RPM does have the heat stove and I will most likely go with the comp lifter. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Rpm base.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 171
FWIW, most all the cam manufacturers sold lifters that were made by Johnson. In the mid2000's the factory closed and everyone had to go off shore to source lifters. At the same time SM oil appeared on the seen with reduced amounts of ZDDP and a rash of cam failures started occuring. It was the poor quality of the lifters more so than the oil that was responsible for the cam failures.

Johnson reopened around 07 and the cam manufactures have returned to them as there source for lifters.

FWIW, most all the cam manufacturers sold lifters that were made by Johnson. In the mid2000's the factory closed and everyone had to go off shore to source lifters. At the same time SM oil appeared on the seen with reduced amounts of ZDDP and a rash of cam failures started occuring. It was the poor quality of the lifters more so than the oil that was responsible for the cam failures.

Johnson reopened around 07 and the cam manufactures have returned to them as there source for lifters.

Wow! Thanks for the lesson. I will be running Joe Gibbs racing oil from now on. I have been running VR-1, but my engine builder recommended gibbs.

..and Howards was the first I know of with the EDM lifters. EDM is the process that makes the holes.

N
Is that the cam you are running in your motor?

Not the 284 but the XE268. I have had 0 problems with the comp liters.
Of course I followed all the break in steps we have to follow now.
I think warranty wise,you must use there lifters anyway.I could be wrong.

FWIW, I have Melling brand lifters on a Comp XE268H cam. Been running strong now for 45,000 miles and I don't pay any attention to how much zinc is in the oil either but do use synthetic, mostly Mobil 1.

-
Back