What is a good oil to use for 1st start up?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Does it matter what oil you use for that first start up?
I also remember something from High School about filling the oil filter with oil before you put it on. Is there some truth to that? If I'm priming the engine first would it really matter?

Thanks!

if you have a hotter than stock cam start up and break in of the cam is very important, i would use a break in oil, or rotella with some comp cam additive. then start it up and hold it at about 2K for about 20 min bliping the throttle to about 2,500 to 3K every few seconds.

I have always started a new one up with the oil I intend to use (Mobil 1) then change it after break-in, havent lost one yet. Pre lube the motor prior to starting is a major must do. Its kinda hard to pre fill the filter unless it mounts straight up and down and I have always used a filter with the anti drain back valve in it.

With all these different views, I am getting the opinion it doesn't really matter, LOL!

I just bought some Vavoline (sp?) Like they said about. your just going to change it after break in anyway.

However I did look for "Break in oil" nobody around here had any, and they told me as well, it shouldn't matter. I don't know?

You can add Comp cam break-in oil to any oil you use, plus use it on every oil change.

I'm either going to use Joe Gibbs BR or Comp Cams break-in oil. Summit has the Comp Cams oil for $5/qt. The Gibbs oil is more expensive.

Shell Rotella T and Comp cams additive.This is what Comp Cams recommends and this is what I use.I have not lost a cam yet.
Jim

-
Back