What is a modded /6 worth

-
slants usually don't have much following for performance; something like that is way overpriced but you can't build it for that either

a stock slant sells for free-$200 I could see maybe $1000 for that one; and that's a big maybe

I sold a stock 77 225 with a Super Six and a stock 904 mated to it on eBay for $300. Sounds like the seller on CL is trying to recoup what he has in the motor.

Headers, manifold and carb, look to be almost new. Those alone would cost about $1,000. Can't say about the rest of the engine, without knowing more.
Just to rebuild a mild slant would cost over $1,000.
But it is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Ya thats to rich for me even though I would have about the same into mine im sure to do what he did. Just thought it was a bit high concidering my whole car (in running condition) cost less than what hes asking

It's kinda comical to me. I have 3/4 of what they're asking for that whole slant just in my slant head alone.

People don't want to pan anything for anything. It's human nature these days to want somethin for nuthin. Yet, they'll spend 3K on a slant build only to find out there's no way in hell they can get half that for it.

Here's the secret about slants. Don't expect to break even if you ever have to sell. It's a slant. That's just how it is. If you really want it, throw um an offer out. If you REALLY want it, go buy it.

Like Charlie said, it has some really nice accessories on it already that would save you some time money and trouble right off the bat. Just know that if you pay 1500-2000 for it, you'll likely never get your money back.

That's why when you build a slant, you build it because you love it, not because you might sell it one day.

Problem with any used motor is you have no idea on the condition of it. I don't care what reciepts ya have. How do I know the machine work was done well? How do ya know he didn't run it out of oil or something? Just don't know and have to treat it as a core with some decent bolt on parts.

I kinda have to disagree. If it's in the car an running, you can check the vitals. Oil pressure, temperature, vacuum signal, pull the oil cap and check for excessive blowby. All those things will certainly tell you the condition. No, you caint see inside the thing, but you can get a good idea of the overall condition.

It's kinda comical to me. I have 3/4 of what they're asking for that whole slant just in my slant head alone.

People don't want to pan anything for anything. It's human nature these days to want somethin for nuthin. Yet, they'll spend 3K on a slant build only to find out there's no way in hell they can get half that for it.

Here's the secret about slants. Don't expect to break even if you ever have to sell. It's a slant. That's just how it is. If you really want it, throw um an offer out. If you REALLY want it, go buy it.

Like Charlie said, it has some really nice accessories on it already that would save you some time money and trouble right off the bat. Just know that if you pay 1500-2000 for it, you'll likely never get your money back.

That's why when you build a slant, you build it because you love it, not because you might sell it one day.

Sad but true. People just do not want to pay much for anything anymore. I think this applies to more than just /'s though. Neighbor had a well built RB out of his mud truck. Only ran on a stand since being gone thru. Had receipts for close to 10k. Best offer he got for it was $3500.

Problem with any used motor is you have no idea on the condition of it. I don't care what reciepts ya have. How do I know the machine work was done well? How do ya know he didn't run it out of oil or something? Just don't know and have to treat it as a core with some decent bolt on parts.

Yep.....would never spend much on a used motor. No point in spend a decent chunk of change on a core......Be different if it was loaded with high $$ parts....but even then would not spend much. Different if it was your best buds, where you knew the history of it....

I kinda have to disagree. If it's in the car an running, you can check the vitals. Oil pressure, temperature, vacuum signal, pull the oil cap and check for excessive blowby. All those things will certainly tell you the condition. No, you caint see inside the thing, but you can get a good idea of the overall condition.

Can't tell if someone put stop leak in it to quickly patch a bad head gasket or small crack in a block to sell it. Never know what's going on in a used motor. But hey that's just my opinion.

You're right, Joe. If somebody wants to be a crook, there's no stoppin um. I try not to go through life so jaded, but when it involves a chunk of change, you caint afford not to.

.....and on the not wantin to give anything for anything. Look at my Hemi for example. You couldn't find a good early Hemi core, buy it, machine it, acquire all the parts and assemble it for what I am asking, yet I have not had one single bite. Not one. ...and the price IS negotiable.....even still not one bite.

Yup. Sucks having to think like that but I have had too many friends screwed and have read way too many posts on various boards to take anyone's but really close friends word on anything that I'm dropping decent coin on.

-
Back