What is a respectable 1/8th mile time

-
Depends on what you consider respectable..i wouldn' show up at the track with anything running slower then 12's..

Your car should be plenty fast my 5.9 jeep is no slouch and weighs a good deal more. Your probably gaining a equivalent of 50-80 hp over my jeep cause of the weight difference. And from what I've read my jeep is a mid 15's car

I used to drive my Demon (360 ci) everywhere and 65 miles to the track and run 7.0's on motor and 6.40's on a 100 shot. It was completely stock interior with bench seat and no roll bar.

I used to drive my Demon (360 ci) everywhere and 65 miles to the track and run 7.0's on motor and 6.40's on a 100 shot. It was completely stock interior with bench seat and no roll bar.
Demon 2 001.jpg

Now another thing that has my drag racing buddy rolling his eyes is since I want it to be streetable I would like ac since it is a factory ac car. He thinks its dumb as hell and says pull it off but does it really change anything if it isn't on when racing. I mean if I had to I could pull the damn belt LOL.

I want to go as fast as it will go and still be streetable. Some day I will eventually build a full drag car but for now street strip is what I want. I plan on having around 400 horse once my engine is done. That won't be for awhile but I should still end up around 275 to 300 sooner than later. as far as a torque converter goes I just have a stock one for now. Money is super super tight so its baby steps for me. I am not sure how to make the car lighter and still keep it a street car. I don't want to gut the interior and so on and loose the drivability. I think a 12 second quarter mile would be a great start and eventually I'd like to hit 10 second or so.

What do you call streetable? Be specific.

It really depends on the car, ya know...

If it is a built out, cammed sounding, drag radial burning out, v8... it better be running south of 8.0.

If it is a del sol, 9.0 is alrite.

What do you call streetable? Be specific.
By streetable I mean go to a car show if I want, drive to the track and home if I want, drive for a cruise, or drive to work. The drag strip is an hour and fifteen minutes from home so odds are I will trailer it just in case. BUT I want it to put a decent time down on the track when I run it. The biggest thing I want to do is smoke my buddy in his 2001 camaro ss and see his mopar hating *** cry LOL. He thinks my dart is ugly and no better than a cavalier, his words, and I want to smoke him with it.

The easiest way to run quicker is to weigh less! Remember that when you take your street car to the track. Unload the trunk,junk from inside the car. 100 lbs is about a 1/10th in the quarter.

Depends on what you consider respectable..i wouldn' show up at the track with anything running slower then 12's..

And I consider respectable as to what you are working with, PERIOD. If I told you someone benched 100 lbs, what would you say? Now what if I told you it was a 4 yr old that benched that 100 lbs????? Changes a bit, right? In other words, I'm more impressed with a stock 225 slant 1 bbl with automatic and 2.76 gears running a 16.99 than a stroked 360 with 4.11's running 12.50's. But, this is just my take on it........

And I consider respectable as to what you are working with, PERIOD. If I told you someone benched 100 lbs, what would you say? Now what if I told you it was a 4 yr old that benched that 100 lbs????? Changes a bit, right? In other words, I'm more impressed with a stock 225 slant 1 bbl with automatic and 2.76 gears running a 16.99 than a stroked 360 with 4.11's running 12.50's. But, this is just my take on it........
Good point!

My car goes 93, which is respectable.
But it takes 7.9 seconds. That is not respectable.
I leave just after the first yellow, and get a 2.2 60ft.
It's a good show tho, spinning the 325DRs nearly all the way.
Street suspension will add time.A half second for sure. Maybe more. I like to pretend my car could go low 7s.Sometimes I pretend it's in the 6s.Sometimes I pretend, I'm newly married and my wife is still 95pounds.Sometimes...................

My car goes 93, which is respectable.
But it takes 7.9 seconds. That is not respectable.
I leave just after the first yellow, and get a 2.2 60ft.
It's a good show tho, spinning the 325DRs nearly all the way.
Street suspension will add time.A half second for sure. Maybe more. I like to pretend my car could go low 7s.Sometimes I pretend it's in the 6s.Sometimes I pretend, I'm newly married and my wife is still 95pounds.Sometimes...................
7:90s with a 60ft THAT bad is VERY impressive! A decent drag radial and about any old halfway decent converter should 60ft 1.80s or so. Thats nearly a 1/2 second right there! With a GOOD converter and some slicks, Id say you deffinately have high 6 potential!

Now another thing that has my drag racing buddy rolling his eyes is since I want it to be streetable I would like ac since it is a factory ac car. He thinks its dumb as hell and says pull it off but does it really change anything if it isn't on when racing. I mean if I had to I could pull the damn belt LOL.
The 14 sec Street car cruises all night long!
The 12 sec Street car makes one pass when he gets in town, and one more when he goes home.

PS, the AC clutch disconnect when you under full throttle any way. No extra drag! I would keep the ac. How ever, i disconnected the AC with a Hacksaw! still regret that move.

The 14 sec Street car cruises all night long!
The 12 sec Street car makes one pass when he gets in town, and one more when he goes home.

This is so true. I would park my fastback and hop in my buddies 14 sec econo performer 70 Monti Carlo in the late 70's.
He had the tunes, beer and ladies. My fastback was and still is a around the block car.

Mine's a 4spd. I think I was using the 3.09low box that day (2004) . 325/50-15 Drag Radials. 4.30 gear. The tach was stuck at at 7000 most of the way.Track official said it was smoking to the end.I said,I thought the clutch was boofed.He said no, the tires were smoking!
Crappy track I thought.
Crappy suspension I knew.
O/D makes 4.30s into 3.35s for hiway cruising.

Last edited:
Do manual cars come factory with lower gears? Just curious the F body 8 1/4 with sure grip came out of a 4 speed car so wasn't sure.

-
Back