What Is A Respectable Time??

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
Is a 14 sec. 318 respectable? Is that considered fast? I know there are guys here in the 10's or even 12's but for a street car is 14 good?

Kinda hard to say these days, depends on what you run into on the street. new stock mustangs will dip a high 13/low 14. There are some quick moving factory cars out there, its kinda borderline. Almost need the '12' atleast to raise an eyebrow these days.

I would say its excellant as most people dont want a 650 hp engine.Yours ,you can cruise in style ,not overheat, have somrthing break etc etc etc, I think personally the slant 6 cars are going to be valuable in the future, slow but classic and easy to convert to e-85 im stuck with my 650 hp ride and want to finish my slant 6 duster but there are no buyers for this car in s fla so far.

come take my 71 dart for 10k cost another grand to make it perfectly street legal and could easily run a 50 50 mix or 93 as it has aluminum stage 6 heads and an 11.5 to 1 compression ratio, oops ,forgot about the exhaust, but with the fenderwell headers its a straight back shot to the front of the rear tires,this includes viscous fan, belt drive, multi groove pulley, new aluminum radiator, hi flow water pump ,like a flow cooler and maybe an electric fan if needed, deep trans pan, with 30k trans cooler, jegs guarantes their 179 buck radiator will cool a 750 hp engine so I expect no problems, theres just something about that slant 6 duster that I love. Like bringing my wife and kid on a nice friday night cruise.take care

thats a loaded question isn't it? respectable compared to what? when i built my first car in the late 80's early 90's 14.0 - 14.5 was a good time for a street car. now in my opinion if it isn't in atlest the 11's its not really that fast. there are tons of 12,13 and 14 sec street cars out there now.

because its eco friendly, has more octane than gas, more wate tolerant, engine internals stay clean, and we all have been running it for years every time we fill down here in s fla

how about 10 flat and very streetable? heck I know guys that run mid 8s and their streetable but require more care, break down more, require race gas,faster ya go the more its gonna cost and break.

how about 10 flat and very streetable? heck I know guys that run mid 8s and their streetable but require more care, break down more, require race gas,faster ya go the more its gonna cost and break.

..which was the point of joe's questions. Compared to what?

i know of atleast one bone stock, brand new z06 thats dipped 10s on factory tires..scary lol :rock: there is a lightly modified charger srt8 turning 12.15s as well 8)

i know of atleast one bone stock, brand new z06 thats dipped 10s on factory tires..

What!!! bone stock nothing added not spraying??..i'd like to see that...

Ok well i guess it is a trick question. I think my build is going to be around 14 sec. i was hoping for 13. Compared to what?.? Well, maybe Mustangs,Ricers, Chubbys....all small blocks of course. Not sure. I just dont wanna say....Ya i got a 14 sec car and the laughter begin.lol

sublime, a 14 sec. 318 is respectable for a street driven car. The main thing is that YOU are happy with that. You can always use bolt-ons and better head work to get your ET even lower as time goes on and the desire for more HP arises. Every time I get the urge to go faster I remember 2 things:
1. Speed costs money - how fast can your wallet afford to go? and,
2. No matter how fast your car is, there's always someone that's got a faster one.

Compared to what?.? Well, maybe Mustangs,Ricers, Chubbys....all small blocks of course. Not sure. I just dont wanna say....Ya i got a 14 sec car and the laughter begin.lol

there are alot of fast stangs out there. tons of chevy that run out there too.. ricers even have some fast ones. it all depends on what type of crowed your around when you tell them that you have a 14 sec car. a 14 sec. car that is a cruiser/daily driver will have some punch to it and be fun.

if your out talking **** to people then yes you will get laughed at with a 14 sec car.

i'm definatley not bashing 14 sec cars. trust me. when i first put the stock 360 in my 64 valiant years ago all i wanted was a 14.5 out of it because that was running decent back then. when it went 14.1 i was happy as hell. problem was by the time i went 14.1 that was no longer fast or running good for the street.. 12 was. now my dart has gone a best of 12.17 and thats not fast anymore for a street car. you need to be in the 10's or 11's to be a nice street car. atleast in this area anyway.

14's is respectable for a mild 318. But it depends on the metrics. Stock 5.0 Mustangs mid 80's through mid 90's were 14 sec cars. 4.6 GT Mustangs through 2004 were about the same. New GT's are high 13 sec cars.

"""i know of atleast one bone stock, brand new z06 thats dipped 10s on factory tires..scary lol :rock: there is a lightly modified charger srt8 turning 12.15s as well 8)[/quote]"""

Mid 11s but getting over the 11.00 hump takes more than what a stock Z06 can offer. My insurance owns a 2006 Noble M400 which runs 11.4. Twin turbo 3 liter....and they always have the upper hand when it comes to Corvettes.

Anyways.....a 14 second 318 is not bad at all....the Darts a light car so it wont take much to get good times...but if you really want to modify it like you want...try and find a 360...cheap and easy to build..plue they have much much much better heads....i like 340s but their kinda pricy

Weight of the vehicle, gearing, ect has to be considered.

My 2007 Charger Daytona with mods runs 13.5, which I consider very quick, as well as most should, since it weighs 4,300 lbs.

My 318 Duster runs 14s with 3.21s. This is very quick for a 318 with stock compression and heads and works well for the street.

Anything quicker than 15.5 is considered quick, in anybodies book; its just that quick gets better and better as the ET drops. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, there will always be a faster car. No question.

Bracket racing is fun. There are quick cars, but the quickest doesnt always win. Sure a 12 sec street car is fun and all, but what is the economy and behavior on the streets with it?

As said before, anything and I repeat, anything in the 14s is quick, especially for the size of the 318 and whats done to it. Feel proud of it and enjoy. Its nice to have the biggest and baddest stick on the block, but its not always necessary to still be fast and competitive against the right crowd.

The way I see it is that my two cars are very quick and even quicker amongst vehicles with the same characteristics and motor output.Enjoy that car; that sounds like a stout and fun little car.

As said before, anything and I repeat, anything in the 14s is quick,

i don't know about that. sure it will have a little pep to it but i sure wouldn't call a 14 second car quick. but hey thats just my opinion.. and as far as street manners and economy goes, thats an entire different subject.

i don't know about that. sure it will have a little pep to it but i sure wouldn't call a 14 second car quick. but hey thats just my opinion.. and as far as street manners and economy goes, thats an entire different subject.

14 sec is quicker, but it seems you are like me, Joe...

Once youve driven something in the 12s or lower, the whole spectrum of view changes.

I feel the same way, but try to remember the averages of things and most likely, 14s are quicker than average times for -all- cars on the road.

But hell, if 12s or lower are obtainable, go for by all means.
Just saying, 14s are respectable and decent and will have its fair share of killed prey.:mrgreen:

I think 14's are decent. especially for a 318. You also gotta figure the money spent vs. how fast you go. If you spent a ton of money 14's aren't that fast.

-
Back