what is a running 318 worth

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the 318 340 cranks interchange but is a firged 318 crank the same oart # as the 340? I beleive this is why the ibterest in teh 68 because of the froged crank and higher CR.

The 318 in my 75 valiant couldn't do a powerbrake on a frozen lake covered in coolant. That's part of why they're so undervalued. Stroker kits, cheap aluminum heads and better piston choices might change that but stigmas linger
I agree. I think ,if someone came out with an affordable drop in bottom end kit ,with a set of 340-360 heads, then a 318 is viable. Alot of the builds are just costly when you can use the same approach with a 360 and come out ahead in the HP range. I will admit though the inital cost of the 318 buildable core is the savings. I do remember the 318 auto Dusters and Valiants and Darts being fun though instock form. However trying to hot rod them never gained much in my exprience. I beleive the cr and the heads were the limiting factor.

Last edited:
I know the 318 340 cranks interchange but is a firged 318 crank the same oart # as the 340? I beleive this is why the ibterest in teh 68 because of the froged crank and higher CR.
273/318 cranks are the same. 340 cranks are by themselves. It's all about the reciprocating weight and the balance. 273's use the same lighter rods compared to the 340's. 273's used a heavier wrist pin to make up for the lighter smaller bore pistons.

This isn't an ad. If it was it would be deleted because of the conversation we have going here. :lol: :lol:
This isn't an ad. If it was it would be deleted because of the conversation we have going here. :lol:

We need another choice at the bottom. I can't disagree but I certainly don't like how so many posts just magically go "poof" here's a huge THUMBS DOWN to that mentality.

FYI, something we take pretty seriously is sales in non sale threads. If a member offers something for sale or asks for a part in a
general / non- marketplace thread, if it's reported or we see it it is either edited or deleted.

Last edited:
-3 is the truck engine. Different heads, water cooled manifold plenum, cast water pump, valve seat inserts etc
Yup, heads have sodium valves, tapered 18mm plugs (like a Ford), cast iron timing cover with an offset water pump, water crossover instead of exhaust, etc. Of all the ones I had over the years, I never had a request for one. I ended up pulling the crank and scrapping the rest.

i have another 318 coming out of my coronet......it runs and can be tuned up to run good ....but im doing a Big block swap .....problem is that this adds to my collection of running 318 s i have a bunch of them and hate to just toss them when they do run and can be tuned to run good.

what are they worth?.....in all original form but running....most are in cars and i can start them to verify they run.
Where about are you in Colorado? I'll be moving up there this coming spring. I will be needing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back