what is it about excessive cubes??

-

Daz570

Thread Inturpreter
Reaction score
I've been browsing the threads around here, very amusing i must add, but the pattern seems to be, stuff it! More cubes, numbers in the mid to high 400's spring up so easily.

what is it that gets you with cubes?

I get out there in my 273 vc on a winding road or even through town (as tired as it is) it's a ton of fun, turns heads, sounds right,spits sidewards on call, and costs me stuff all in fuel to treat even as a daily driver.

so what is it that says 'CUBES!!' what more than a hot 340 / 360 gets your motor running? and why?

(I know i'm not seeing the full picture, comming from australia where the biggest production car was 360...)

Dan.

plus bragging right at the races is fun

my roommate just built a 383ci SBC and was bragging till the guy we were talking to showed us his 454ci SBC and we shut up quick

the other thing is you cant see cubic inches so if it looks like a stock 273 commando, it could really be a 408ci

but isn't ther just something that grips you about running a 340 (to your own specks) against something that's a monster in comparison and hands down nailing them??

no winning is winning doesnt matter if i beat you with a 24cyl thats 2000ci i still won

plus $$$

its cheaper to build a low reving torque monster than it would be to build a motor(340) to make high end power

but isn't ther just something that grips you about running a 340 (to your own specks) against something that's a monster in comparison and hands down nailing them??

I have a worn out 340 in my dart that I will be rebuilding next year. I could rebuild back to stock specs or even warm it up with a hotter cam and a little port work. OR for a couple of thousand dollars more I could stroke it to 416 ci and have a much more streetable engine with a milder driving characteristics and TONS of low end torque.

A high winding 340 would be great, but around here there is really no place to wind one up (except occasional trips to the track). A low rpm torque monster is more suitable to shorts bursts of power that are more common on street driven vehicles.

Cubes in engines is just like inches in TVs, watts in sterios, I could go on forever, but basicly it's a male thing. Notches in a gun belt and acres of farm land deserve mention.

Back in the early days of Pro Stock, Jenkins started beating the Hemi cars with 331"...

they say there is no replacement for displacement but I like my 340's and my slanty's.....then again I've got a 440 for WagginII and a dual quad 360 and four speed for the 68 barracuda and the 64 dart convertable and the 66 barracuda both have the 273's I'd probably enjoy a stroker motor too! see I'm not picky LoL

you could put a 4" stroke crank in a 273 and have a 337...where the same crank in even a 318 is 390 cubes with a +.030 overbore, 340 is 416, and 360 is 408. People just want more CI, probably unless they are worried about fuel mileage.

RedFish
Cubes in engines is just like inches in TVs, watts in sterios, I could go on forever, but basicly it's a male thing. Notches in a gun belt and acres of farm land deserve mention.

I think this explains it very well

Simply put, it's easier to get more streetable hp/torque in the everyday RPM range with more cubes. If you've never driven a big older American car with a 440, 455, 454, 460, or a Caddy 500 that can fry the tires for a block right from the factory with just a bit of tuning, you just don't know what your missing. :) Especially when the secondaries open on the highway, lol!

Knighty, it's just simply that you have never drove one or you wouldn't ask that question. all guys have their favorite as far as SMB or BB. If you like the way your car jumps and runs tripple that performance and thats what its like with a BB in your car.

i have plenty of association with rb and hemi cars (real hemi, not just my pretend six's) ones a hemi challenger, anothers a 440 6 pack chally, his exact words are "it's a thirsty pig of a thing".

Please don't get me wrong, i'm not picking on anything mentioned here (sorry if it sounds like i am)

Just that i'm a big fan of daily drivers, and it scares me the thought (what with escilating fuel costs etc..).

So do you, compromise with a smallblock or slant? or go all out and only drive it once a week?

maybe i'm getting old and loosing interest?? (27 WTF!!)

Torque, Torque, Torque. It's that simple. That and it doesn't cost much more to build a stroker than a stock stroke engine. My stroked 340 gets about 12 mpg. My high rpm wildly built stock stroke 340's were lucky to get 8 or 9 mpg. Just my 2cents.

Vic has drove my BB duster and tons of torque and it keeps pullin and pullin and pullin. When you think it has pulled all it's going to, just step down on it.

bigger is better. i was proud to have this swinging lol

Copy (2) of coronet in garage 008.jpg

-
Back