what is it

-

iggys68dart

Reaction score
anyone ever seen one of these before i bought it at a estate sale, and the guy said it was a flag holder lol it accepts a 20 guage shell and has trip wire strung towards muzzle i nailed to a post and rerouted string way far off around building for test fire and it works like a charm i havent seen anything like it and neither does anyone i know including some pawnshops that deal in older firearms

I would guess either a flare launcher or some sort of evil "trap."

On PBS I think, "History Detectives" someone had a weird ball device with a trip mechanism, it was concluded to be a deal you put on top of a casket to prevent grave robbing. Evidently when medicine really started to "take off" there was a shortage of cadavers for medical dissection, and people would dig up bodies and sell them to labs

it has not a mark or # on it and appears to be cast its very unusual heck i only gave a dollar for it 2 years ago i would of thought it to be homemade but its just too clean and precise also no screws all rivets

I doesn't look home made, so my guesses would be:

1) a signal that could be activated from inside a casket. In victorian times beople were "deathly afraid" of being buried alive. They would have signals or bells hung on their tombstones with tripwires run down to the casket in case they woke up inside it.

2) a naval sounding device. A lot of harbors required ship sound off before entering. Before big loud horns, they had little cannons to make a big boom when they entered the harbor.

3) a naval signal device. Just a stab in the dark, but you could insert a flare cartrage an have this mounted above the flamibles like flags and sails. I don't know when 12 gauge flares were developed, probably after this thing was made, but a guess.

It would make a great alarm!

take it to pawnstars and sell if for some money, and they will find someone that will get the information for you. >)

Seen something like it years ago at a gun shop.
The old smiths name was Bob Edwards.
He told me it was for coyotes.
He said he used them for burgler control around the back
windows of his shop.

I was delivering hay one time. The lady came out with one of them. Said she ordered it off the internet. She fired it off for me. That sucker was loud!

-
Back