What is it?

-

Dan B.

78 and still going.
Reaction score
So my windshield was broken and I needed a replacement. Called Ins. Co. filed claim. Glass guy called me and asked about car. I told him I had a 1972 Plymouth Duster. He said by the Vin number I had a Valiant. He stated that there was a difference between the Valiant and the Duster windshield. He said he would bring out the Valiant WS. He brought the Valiant WS out and it wasn't close. The A pillar was different angle and the length was wrong. He said according to my Vin it should taker a Valiant WS. The full Vin number is, VL2962B210511. Looking at the decoder it first appears that the Vin is missing one or two numbers? The V stands for Valiant. L= Low end. 29= 2 door sport coup. B= 198 2 BBL 6 cylinder "G" engine. 2= 1972 and I can't tell what the 10511 represents? There is No fender tag. I had read somewhere that there should be a number(s) stamped on the underside of the deck lid pass side that would give all the codes? Found nothing.... I have all the receipts for the car and some had phone numbers of the previous owner(s). Talking to the guy who purchased it from the original owner he said. (he has since died). The original owner was an engineer for Chrysler and was one of the engineers who worked on the PT Cruiser. He got the car when he retired in 71. It was either a prototype or an early model? It only had 9 miles on it. It was in a show garage with a number of other Mopars. After this second owner purchased it he started making changes to the car. i.e. new upholstery, wheels etc. I am now the fifth owner.... Q- How can I really tell what model this car is in order to get the right WS?
VIN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell him you have a 1972 Plymouth Duster and to bring that windshield. He doesnt need the VIN. IMO if it were me and he argues, I would find a new glass guy if you have that option.

To go into more detail, the Valiant was the base model and then there were other variations of the Valiant. For example the Duster and Scamp. This goes into much more detail, Plymouth Valiant - Wikipedia

Glass guy had bad information. "29" is Duster. 23 or 41 is Valiant, 2 or 4 door respectively. Tell him to learn to decode. :rolleyes:

s, VL2962B210511. Looking at the decoder it first appears that the Vin is missing one or two numbers? The V stands for Valiant. L= Low end. 29= 2 door sport coup. B= 198 2 BBL 6 cylinder "G" engine. 2= 1972 and I can't tell what the 10511 represents?

V does not stand for "just" Valiant

V is Plymouth Valiant, Duster, Scamp ("A" body)

Your clue is 29, "2 dr sports coupe" as opposed to 23 which is "2 dr hardtop". "Sports coupe" is the fastback body, 23, 2dr HT is the "conventional" Valiant/ Dart body

Do you all realize he is just doing what the computer machine is telling him?
Lol!

I stopped going to Autozone because their computer did not list 8 3/4 axle seals in the front wheel drive trans-axle section.

I kept telling the guy why they would not be in that section.

Then another of his co-workers.

Then their supervisor.

They all said that that axle seals for an 8 3/4 equipped 1970 Fury would be in the FWD section, so if they did not have a listing, no one made them.

Even when I asked them to check RWD listings, they insisted that they would not be there for my application.

I drove home & ordered them from Dr. Diff.

I stopped going to Autozone because their computer did not list 8 3/4 axle seals in the front wheel drive trans-axle section.

I kept telling the guy why they would not be in that section.

Then another of his co-workers.

Then their supervisor.

They all said that that axle seals for an 8 3/4 equipped 1970 Fury would be in the FWD section, so if they did not have a listing, no one made them.

Even when I asked them to check RWD listings, they insisted that they would not be there for my application.

I drove home & ordered them from Dr. Diff.

Absolutely agree!!! Went to A.Z. myself because l was told " the older guy there" knew his Mopar stuff.
Needless to say, he was " the old parts guy." BUT.... upon talking to him for a few minutes l realized he had OWNED a couple few Mopars in the past but wasn't really "up on" what fit what.
Spent $150+ on parts that l was pretty sure were wrong, even telling him so. But he insisted they were correct.
2 days later l took back all but $28 of the stuff and told them what l thought of their "old car expert". Haven't been back since.
As much as l hate "the NET" , I guess that is where one needs to go to get the correct parts.
IN THEIR DEFENSE - - if l had a Honda, Toyoter, Jap krap, a 2015 or newer whatever, they MAY have been able to help me out.
Or if l wanted some wax to polish my 24" dubs. NOT !!!!

WE'RE A DYING BREED BOYS. LIKE IT OR NOT. TAKE CARE OF YO'SELVES A D YOUR OLD CARS.

Ok this is weird, my “72 Demon” has a vin number that starts with VL. I don’t understand this.

Tell him you have a 1972 Plymouth Duster and to bring that windshield. He doesn't need the VIN. IMO if it were me and he argues, I would find a new glass guy if you have that option.

To go into more detail, the Valiant was the base model and then there were other variations of the Valiant. For example the Duster and Scamp. This goes into much more detail, Plymouth Valiant - Wikipedia

The glass guy took the WS with him and got the right match. I asked him what it was and he said "Duster"... Everyone was correct in saying the computer got it wrong.. Anyway, i'm now happy. Except I still don't know what the numbers 10511 mean?

That’s the last 5 numbers of the vin number son. Hold on I’m checking my computer....

Lol!

The glass guy took the WS with him and got the right match. I asked him what it was and he said "Duster"... Everyone was correct in saying the computer got it wrong.. Anyway, i'm now happy. Except I still don't know what the numbers 10511 mean?

that is the actual serial number digits to your car...

Last edited:
Ok, got it..... The glass guy was here last night and installed the WS. I looked at the sticker on the glass and it said, "Dodge Dart" The number on the lower right hand corner is DW00759. So, evidently the Duster and Dart use the same WS.

Nope- Dart has a different windshield.

You got a Dodge Dart- Demon windshield.
Adds 5hp at 75mph with the Demon spec.
Lol.

Nope- Dart has a different windshield.

You got a Dodge Dart- Demon windshield.
Adds 5hp at 75mph with the Demon spec.
Lol.
Why would a Dart WS fit a Duster? What is the difference in WS? Also. How are the WS clips held in place?

Last edited:
Most places classify a Demon as a Dart or Dart Demon because that’s how they were titled originally. I’ve owned 5 so far and they all show Dart- Demon. Most parts from my Demon are listed as Dart Demon 340 it’s jist how someone programmed it into the computer.

The 2/4 door Dart is the same body as the 2/4 door Valiant or 2/4 door Swinger. Those safe a different windshield than the demon duster windshield.
Demon and Duster share same glass.

Clips are held on by a welded button tab. Cant help you there with pictures.

When looking up parts for a Demon, it's a subcategory of Dart.

Most places classify a Demon as a Dart or Dart Demon because that’s how they were titled originally. I’ve owned 5 so far and they all show Dart- Demon. Most parts from my Demon are listed as Dart Demon 340 it’s jist how someone programmed it into the computer.

The 2/4 door Dart is the same body as the 2/4 door Valiant or 2/4 door Swinger. Those safe a different windshield than the demon duster windshield.
Demon and Duster share same glass.

Clips are held on by a welded button tab. Cant help you there with pictures.

It sounds like I cannot easily change the clips?

...and back to the "29" body.

A Dart Demon is also a 29 body like your Valiant Duster.

-
Back