What is Needed to Convert Manual to Power-Assist with 9-inch Drums

-

hwd2

Reaction score
I am pretty sure that power brakes were available with the small-bolt 9-inch drums on late-sixties Darts or Valiants. I see listings for master cyls. but they differ between manual or power. Can someone elaborate? I suspect it has something to do with how M.C. interfaces with front face of booster. Also, can the wider/shallower Midland style booster be used (depending on attachment and clearances)? Does prop. valve need to be replaced? Are there any links available? Finally, I have no need or desire to 'upgrade' to front discs - - just looking for a little less foot effort when stopping (although 16 yr.old daughter has driven over 300 miles past four weeks with no complaints).

Are you looking to buy exact year specific original parts? If not there are kits on the market to add power brakes.

I will add if you stay drum/drum no need to change the Prop valve, which on a drum car is just a distribution block. You likely will need to make or source new brake lines from the master to the dist block.

Last edited:
yes ,they were.I had a 65 Valiant in the late 80's with all original power drum brakes and they were 9 inch .It had a 170 cu in slant with an automatic . You just need the booster and the right pedal assembly that goes with it . It's a goofy thing that offsets the master & booster so it will fit.Same as the one used on the v8's of that year.

yes ,they were.I had a 65 Valiant in the late 80's with all original power drum brakes and they were 9 inch .It had a 170 cu in slant with an automatic . You just need the booster and the right pedal assembly that goes with it . It's a goofy thing that offsets the master & booster so it will fit.Same as the one used on the v8's of that year.

I was kind of hoping that everything from inside 'cabin' would fit (if booster, etc. added) - but consensus is that it won't. What about brake pedal, etc. from '74 Duster? I do have the booster and accompanying linkage but that was a disc/drum vehicle.

I was kind of hoping that everything from inside 'cabin' would fit (if booster, etc. added) - but consensus is that it won't. What about brake pedal, etc. from '74 Duster? I do have the booster and accompanying linkage but that was a disc/drum vehicle.

Just the correct drum/drum master. I don't think the pedal matters its the linkage, brackets, lines and booster that matter.

-
Back