What is the biggest rubber I can run on this body?

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
This isn't actually my car, But the owner lets me race it sometimes. It has a grunty wee 340 in it, that came out of a class winning marathon boat.
Unsure of the cam specs, but it does run real high comp domed top forged pistons etc.

furybeforepaint2.jpg

furygoingtopaintboot.jpg

anyhow, whats the biggest rear tyres you guys have managed to fit under the guards on one of these? It's aussie assembled, but I think its similar to a '67-'69 dart?
The owner wouldn't dream of even so much as lipping the the gaurds to accomodate wider rubber. Last time I raced it (running the 14x7 mags and cheap nasty 215/60/14s off one of my cars) I could barely touch the throttle out of the hole without smoking the rears up badly.
So what width tyres have you guys managed to fit in there?

First slick I had under my 70 Dart was a M/T,Part #3020.26.0/8.5/14.Using the factory Ralley wheels..It fit with no problems...........

On my 69 Dart I mini tubbed it and trimmed the front part of the wheel well and put a M/T 29.5 10.5W.with a 10 wheel and a 5 in back space.

Thanks guys.
I think rim offset must play a big part. I'll have to crawl under it with a tape and see how far the rim can be widened inwards to take such tyres.

I think that you'll have to use the offset spring hangers to get the 275 tire in there. And then it'll take exactly the right offset rim to make it work.

I don't know about the later A bodies, but I got a 28 11.50 15 ET Street under my 65 Valiant. I had the MP .8" bolt on spring relocators, and SS springs in the rear. I had them mounted on 9.5" Center Line Auto Drags. I did have to roll the outer wheel lip up, but you couldn't see it. They actually fit quite well. I was surprised as all heck after I measured and re measured before I bought everything they they'd fit, but they did. I've had several A bodies, and I think......as strange as it sounds that the later cars have less room. I know that doesn't sound right, but I think that's the case.

What axle & brake combination did you have? Also, are you sure it was a 9 1/2" wheel? They list 8 1/2", 9" & 10" but no 9 1/2". Of course, I realize they might have changed things. I'm all about stuffing the biggest thing I can in the back wheelwells!

-
Back