What is the difference between 67 & 68-69 a body steering column

-

Dean3001

Reaction score
What is the difference between the upper collars on the steering column of the 67 dart & 68-69. if there is a difference , can it be modified to fit?

The first difference that comes to mind... 67 column will have the reverse lamp switch and switch actuator incorporated. That switch moved to the transmission in 68.
There may be differences at steering wheel spline count and/or lower bearing designs also.

The first difference that comes to mind... 67 column will have the reverse lamp switch and switch actuator incorporated. That switch moved to the transmission in 68.
There may be differences at steering wheel spline count and/or lower bearing designs also.
Thank you

67-9 is the same. I have swapped them back and forth without issues

I have a 67 Barracuda. The lower bushing on the 67 is different and as of a few years ago no one makes a replacement. I finally had to get a 68 column. I don't remember the switches being on the column as I have an after market shifter with the backup light switch in it. The 67 A body is a one year only so get a 68/69 column. The 67 doesn't have a lower bushing in the idler arm and it is almost impossible to get the play out of the steering. I am a lousy typist so you can call if you have more questions. I am retired so I am home most of the time 775 883-3446

Last edited:
That is true. I have just swapped full columns from one car to another. He is curious about the upper collar on the 3 years. I think the upper collars go back to 66. They used some leftover 66 parts on my 67

That is true. I have just swapped full columns from one car to another. He is curious about the upper collar on the 3 years. I think the upper collars go back to 66. They used some leftover 66 parts on my 67
66 is the same shape, and will fit perfectly (as will 63-65 floor shift and pushbutton auto) but is made from stamped steel as opposed to the cast aluminum used from 67 on

I have a 67 Barracuda. The lower bushing on the 67 is different and as of a few years ago no one makes a replacement. I finally had to get a 68 column. I don't remember the switches being on the column as I have an after market shifter with the backup light switch in it. The 67 A body is a one year only so get a 68/69 column. The 67 doesn't have a lower bushing in the idler arm and it is almost impossible to get the play out of the steering. I am a lousy typist so you can call if you have more questions. I am retired so I am home most of the time 775 883-3446
Thank you, I will call

Yeah, 67 had allot of 1 year only parts. Chrysler also had 2 different suppliers/manufactures of columns in the 60's so the differences may be the mounting of the upper column shell that I know of.

I fixed my slop in my 67 by pulling the steering column apart and sliding a flaming river tilt column right into the housing using the complete housing with column brackets and floor mounts you look under and it looks factory.

Collapsible column started in 1967. Backup lamp switch moved the to the transmission in 1969. While the columns are interchangeable there are differences, including a tapered inner column and the different lower bushing. B-body columns will also fit with the proper length shaft.

Collapsible column started in 1967. Backup lamp switch moved the to the transmission in 1969. While the columns are interchangeable there are differences, including a tapered inner column and the different lower bushing. B-body columns will also fit with the proper length shaft.
So the collapsible housing from a 68-69 B Body is the same as a 68-69 A Body?

Close enough, probably. The one I used was from a '67 Charger and put it in a '67 Barracuda. The mounting bracket and firewall bracket are different, though.

not to hijack this conversation, but are there no suppliers for parts to rebuild a 67 column?

No suppliers that I found. RMS sells the collar bushing I have one I didn't use if anyone wants it.

No suppliers that I found. RMS sells the collar bushing I have one I didn't use if anyone wants it.
since what i am doing is not a real restoration, I will find one from a different year. Do all "A bodies work and what other mopar cars will work?

I have a lower for a barracuda I don't know if it is same for dart I will call Bill rieley at RMS and ask if they are same I'll send it to ya for free If you want it

Do have a dart or barracuda is it manual transmission column shift. Or auto or console shift I don't know if it matters but more info I can give him the better

-
Back