what is the future of our hobby hold

-

silver fox

Reaction score
Over the weekend i read about the future of the electric cars over the next ten year's and that all the automotive gaint's are ready to produce, also talking to a ford saleman, ford also predict's that we are we are at the stage of the horse & buggy at that time, at the same time here in Canada province's say don't have the product's in place to supply to demand the it would take to charge this car's at peak time's ( we have to do our wash after 9)
So my ? is is gas going to go up because of less demand OR is it going to go down and will the public stone us for driving our gas drivin machine's
I feel that the way our govt's & the gas com. work i'll be driving for a few more year's but will our son's
what do you think,just a thought

Yep fuel is one of those wonderful businesses that can justify raising prices due to lack of demand and lack of supply.

Great time to own stock in fuel companies :)

I own BP, PBA (Canadian), and SXL.

Between the three of them I get about $75 a month and that's what I use to buy my gas :)
OK, not all of it, but about 1/2 of it.

PBA just increased it's dividend, SXL is up 25%, and BP is up 6% and is talking about raising it's dividend for again.

When fossil fuels can be removed from the battery charging process, that will be the real turning point.

First of all, "electric cars" don't save fuel, and by that I mean more than just perceived fuel mileage.

You must consider the "end to end" costs, materials, and energy of building, shipping, maintaining, fueling, and destroying old cars

So far, NO body has come up with a long term fuel supply for "electric cars" that does NOT already impact the already overtaxed power grid.

I'm speaking of course about such things as solar.

Next, NO body has a solution for anybody that actually wants to DRIVE.

I look back when I worked in Spokane. I get up at zero:dark:thirty, grab my lunch, tools, other gear and clothes, and go out to the "electric car"

So the "electric car" has to make the 45 miles to Spokane to work, and DURING that time, it has to run the ELECTRIC heater/ defroster, the ELECTRIC headlights, the ELECTRIC radio/ stereo, and the ELECTRIC drive system.

So, two, three, four years later, the super-expensive-high-tech batteries (just like in my camera/ laptop/ cellphone) are NOW only capable of some reduced percentage of performance, say, 30-60 percent of when they were new.

Does this mean I want to spend 16-40 GRAND on a new "battery pack?" uh, NO!!

Is this car going to be resellable?

(Sample ad) FOR SALE, 2525 ToyKitiac, looks and runs good, NEEDS NEW BATTERY

We have GOT to figure out "alternative" energy sources, like solar, to reduce fuel consumption OF ALL TYPES. The world use of fuel is overwhelmingly coal and oil. Until we can change that, "electric cars" are not gonna be "the thing."

Let's just say I wouldn't invest in electric cars right now - electric cars are pretty much like your current daily driver with a one gallon gas tank that takes all night to fill.

Not widely reported are the vast amounts of oil and natural gas in North America recently discovered. For what this might mean look here -> http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson040212.html

^-- Yup. The whole 'go green' fad is ridiculousness. You should come check out the Seattle area, everyone and their mother drives a Prius.

And yes, they are better than you.

What about the bigger examples of consumers of fuel? Its damn sure not the general public. Military, Industry, Agriculture come to mind. Short sighted sheeple buy those cars. To justify the $40-60k they dropped on it, they get to wear the uniform, and of course, they're part of the club of pretentious idiots that do the same. Untill like 273 said, they have to replace the battery, LOL.

Methinks it has little to do with actual fuel usage/economy. Like adding overdrive to your a-body, you can buy a lot of fuel for the price of that new fancy gadget..

I don't think we are anywhere near the end of oil, I'd say the prominent theory on this subject 'Peak Oil' sounds feasible, check it out. The oil is there, it just isn't as easy to get.

Drive your Muscle, have your fun.. :burnout:

Big oil owns the U.S. government officials so they will be around for some time.

Friend of mine needed a battery for a Prius, Toyota's quote was $4000.00 and $2000.00 for installation. The Insurance company totaled the car, said it wasn't worth fixing.

When you realize that petroleum is in more than 95% of everything around us, including what we EAT, you begin to understand that oil ain't goin nowhere.

When you look into history-we have had electric-coal fired/steam-diesel/gasoline/kerosene engines just to name a few.At one time St Louis Mo had 52 different auto makers in the area.The best and the easiest maintained always win out.Now we have a government that has chosen to elect a winner at any cost to the public.And now is trying to dictate that we use it no matter how we feel or how much we must pay.There is nothing economical or mantainance free or user friendly with electric-if there had been we would have developed it.If you want to blame someone look no farther than our government-the ones that make more money from fossil fuels than any other entity.

I myself am betting on clean diesel. Given the choice between prius and VW polo no question my choice is the polo. It is not for sale in the US and is rated at approx 70mpg which is 20 better than prius. No expensive and polluting hybrid battery to replace and the newer diesels don't stink as bad.

Friend of mine needed a battery for a Prius, Toyota's quote was $4000.00 and $2000.00 for installation. The Insurance company totaled the car, said it wasn't worth fixing.
Batteries are Maintenance. Insurance companies have nothing to do with it. If it was part of an accident claim then it could push the repair bill into the Totaled category.

Automotive News reported today that battery prices have fallen 14% this year due to increased manufacturing capacity.

I still see horses around here....not at 7-11 but at the stables. Our classic cars and heavy trucks will never be 100% electric, maybe hybrid, but that is just a clean idle type hybrid.

Crap- screwed up post, see below:

First of all, "electric cars" don't save fuel, and by that I mean more than just perceived fuel mileage.

You must consider the "end to end" costs, materials, and energy of building, shipping, maintaining, fueling, and destroying old cars

So far, NO body has come up with a long term fuel supply for "electric cars" that does NOT already impact the already overtaxed power grid.

I'm speaking of course about such things as solar.

Next, NO body has a solution for anybody that actually wants to DRIVE.

I look back when I worked in Spokane. I get up at zero:dark:thirty, grab my lunch, tools, other gear and clothes, and go out to the "electric car"

So the "electric car" has to make the 45 miles to Spokane to work, and DURING that time, it has to run the ELECTRIC heater/ defroster, the ELECTRIC headlights, the ELECTRIC radio/ stereo, and the ELECTRIC drive system.

So, two, three, four years later, the super-expensive-high-tech batteries (just like in my camera/ laptop/ cellphone) are NOW only capable of some reduced percentage of performance, say, 30-60 percent of when they were new.

Does this mean I want to spend 16-40 GRAND on a new "battery pack?" uh, NO!!

Is this car going to be resellable?

(Sample ad) FOR SALE, 2525 ToyKitiac, looks and runs good, NEEDS NEW BATTERY

We have GOT to figure out "alternative" energy sources, like solar, to reduce fuel consumption OF ALL TYPES. The world use of fuel is overwhelmingly coal and oil. Until we can change that, "electric cars" are not gonna be "the thing."

Agree-

I believe we do need to be more in tune with the lifecycle of natural resources and the impact of simply packing all of our "waste" into the ground for future generations to deal with. It's not just the national debt we're passing on, it's a pillaged and increasingly toxic planet with no incentive to do anything but what we've always done.

Hybrids are nothing new, either

The "Owen - Entz transmission a form of hybrid gasoline - electric drive From my beat-up old Dykes manual in the 20's

It had a rotating generator field hooked to the flywheel which rotated around the generator armature, which was on a driveshaft attached to the motor armature. There is therefore, no mechanical connection between the engine and the rest of the drivetrain. This DID have a bit of regenerative braking.

full size at the link:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3026/2579442310_ab7d5148b8_o.jpg

2579442310_7f684af26b_z.jpg

The Woods gas-electric car

This car is a true hybrid in the modern sense, except of course for more advanced hardware and solid state components.

full size at the link:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3181/2579442558_1b4cca0a2d_o.jpg

2579442558_5d24d52959_z.jpg

Cars will be gone and replaced by horses. "For a Bodies Only" will be replaced by "For Quarter Horses Only" And the C body forum will be replaced by "For Clydesdales Only"

Oddly enough most internet mustang forums will be replaced by womens clothing forums with posts like"What to do, My wife caught me wearing her underwear again"

Cars will be gone and replaced by horses. "For a Bodies Only" will be replaced by "For Quarter Horses Only" And the C body forum will be replaced by "For Clydesdales Only"

Oddly enough most internet mustang forums will remain unchanged, with posts like"What to do, My wife caught me wearing her underwear again"

Fixed it for ya.

B.

-
Back