what is the giant chunk of iron i lost off the trans?

-

harbinger

Reaction score
what is the large chunk of cast iron bolted to the tailshaft housing on my 904 trans. it vibrated off while i was driving down the road :eek:ops: and was wondering if it would hurt anything if it was missing.

Nope,keep driving lol. I don't see them on many cars any more,it was factory for something but it isn't needed.

Welcome to FABO. I am not aware of any 'giant chunks of iron' that can fall off... How bout a picture? What car was it on?

Sounds like a vibration damper.

Rear tail housing vibration dampner , helps with driveline vibrations at highway speeds, held on by 2-- 5/16 bolts just below rear seal area.
You dont need it but does help.

Lon

Every once in awhile this question comes up in various forms. I must admit, first time I saw one, I was "?WTF?"

I think they actually came more on lockup cars and overdrives. Since the drive shaft was sped up either way, that would and could result in some vibration issues.

Her is what it looks like for those wanting to see one... I wouldnt bother putting it back on

Attachments

• Photo1375.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Photo1376.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Photo1377.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 307
  • Photo1378.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 306
  • Photo1379.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 313
  • Photo1383.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 304
They really only matter to the poor person behind you.
I have only had two cars with those on them. (30 years ago)

I thought thats what is was. i had one on the diff of my mach 1. Im sure if there was anyone behind me when it came off at 70 mph they were none to happy. i didnt bother going back and looking for it. Thanks for the replies, and the welcome.

My '74 Dodge Dart parts car has one of those boat anchors on it, dunno if tranny is lockup or not, How can one tell if lockup transmission?

Here is a pic of one bolted to the tail of a 73 dodge Dart sport I went out to look at the other day.

Attachments

• Photo2473.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 234
Good thing it didn't go through someone's windshield, LOL... Those buggers are heavy.. Took this one off my car. Feels like it weighs a good 5-6 lbs. It's solid cast iron.

BTW: Couldn't tell any difference at all in how it drives (doesn't vibrate) after I took it off.

Attachments

• Trans damper 1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 199
  • Trans damper 3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 173
My '74 Duster had two of them things, one on the tailshaft and another bolted to the floor pan underneath the passenger side back seat. They've been sent to China and turned into I phones by now.

-
Back