What is the green light for on the rear of NHRA Pro stock cars?

-

slant six

Do More With Less
Reaction score
Some, Maybe all current 2024 NHRA Pro Stock cars have a green light on or near the rear bumper area it's on and off during staging and launch. What is it for or what does it signify?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Never noticed that.
Watch the final round of the pro stock Callout from Route 66. in the Right Lane on Greg Anderson's car it has it.

The youtube version cuts out the Front of staging / Timing tower Camera angles so I was only able to see it on the Fox brodact version of the show. I have seen it at other times this year as well.

in Imsa the Rear facing Green Light indicates an Ameturr driver, but I bet I has a different meaning In NHRA Pro Stock as the light seems to go on an off during the staging process.

Maybe it means the clutch pedal is fully depressed?

That's on there so they know they have the data acquisition system turned on. They flip a switch at the back to turn it on.

Not turning it on just wastes a run because you have no data to work with for the next run.

Tom

It actually goes beyond that. They position video to capture the tree and the green light on the bumper. The green light goes off when the driver launches the car (lets out the clutch or releases a line lne-loc). They later slow the video way down and see how long it took the car to move off the line compared to when the tree goes green. Of course driver reaction time is figured in, but basically what they are doing is measuring the car's reaction time.

How long have those clutch line loc / Data lights been in use? I just notuced them maybe at the end of 2023 and quite a bit more in 2024.

-
Back